My resto project finally on the lake.......not without some problems

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

whitewheels

Yesterday evning I finally got my newly finished resto build sporster le in the lake. New top end meant runing in the motor.
I´m a totaly newbie on boats and specially on jets

First halfhour at max 25% throttle went fine. Have 1:50 aditional oil direct in the tank so it was a bit smokey
This morning I went out on the second halfhour with max 50% throttle. No problem untill the exhaust gasket blew out just when we`re crusing slowly into the "docks"
New gasket and don`t forget the loctite will fix this I´m sure....
....but my questions.
When I got down to the lake this morning it has taken in aprox 4-5" of water inte the engine bay. Is this noting to worry on this "older" boat or is there a common problem/fix to this?
Also while out on the second run I feelt that it was pulling verry poor. I mean at 50% throttle I would imagen it was much quicker. The impeller and wearring is good but how about my "dock"? Is this to much veggitation for the jet? Have I stuffed it full of weed you think?

Attachments

• 20150828_184745.jpg
    20150828_184745.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 63
  • 20150829_111749.jpg
    20150829_111749.jpg
    835.8 KB · Views: 59
The boats are not rated to be left in the water. The carbon seal can/will leak. From what I understand there have been several boats lost because of this. If you plan on leaving it in the water, an auto bilge pump with a spare battery is a must.

The boats are not rated to be left in the water. The carbon seal can/will leak. From what I understand there have been several boats lost because of this. If you plan on leaving it in the water, an auto bilge pump with a spare battery is a must.

Ok. Been reading alot of forum threds this past winter and in the back of my head I thought I´ve read something about this. Well got a autobilge but no spare battery in the boat.

Went out in the garage to get the partsno for a new exhaust gasket and found this.
Gasket no 24 on pic 1 was left over from my top end gasket kit
I have gasket no 19 on the second pic
What´s the diffrence and what the heck is no.59???
Pic 1 is from a 2003 parts cataloge and pic 2 from a sportster shop manual

Attachments

• 20150829_130822.jpg
    20150829_130822.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • 20150829_130829.jpg
    20150829_130829.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 31
Last edited by a moderator:

I'd see guys state this all the time, I've owned my speedster from brand new. I was never told this, nor have I read this. Anyone have it in writing? My boat can float all day without a drop, and another guys challenger I work on will leave his boat docked in the water all weekend when he visits his parents, and its bone dry.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

I'd see guys state this all the time, I've owned my speedster from brand new. I was never told this, nor have I read this. Anyone have it in writing? My boat can float all day without a drop, and another guys challenger I work on will leave his boat docked in the water all weekend when he visits his parents, and its bone dry.

My grate and the hole jet have been out sometime in it´s life. You can tell from the messy sealant and toolmarks. Maybe they didn´t got it sealed up properly.

I know for sure that there's no stones,sand or branches or other hard objects just weed......should I'll be fine just clean the intake grate?

I'm going off of info from multiple replies from people such as Dr. Honda... I have read it in more than a handful of replies on this site about how the carbon seals eventually leak....

I'm going off of info from multiple replies from people such as Dr. Honda... I have read it in more than a handful of replies on this site about how the carbon seals eventually leak....

Yes, I have read it online too, but never in print from BRP. I just thought the way you worded it that is was in print some where. When I read the word "rated" I was hoping you had something from BRP was all, just curious. I left my 96 XP's in a lake for a week back in the day with no problem. It's just something that would never cross my mind, perhaps I have too much trust. Not trying to get technical but I think "suggested" might be a better way of wording it?

The carbon seal. Is this something you wear out and replace or do you just adjust it from time to time to get proper seal?

The leaky hull is not the carbon seal . Not in my boat anyway. There is a tiny crack just behind the electricbox and it's also coming from around the steering cable

The rattle-lose-all-bolts-engine came down to the owner(me ;-) ) didn't know how to mesure the crank properly. Not confirm yet but most likly.
Season is now over so I just fix the crankshaft and I'll be good when the spring comes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back