My oil bypass experience -with pictures

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Hey guys,

Trying to compile all of the info in this thread into a single document to make it a little easier. Does anyone have any pics of the ports that have to be blocked? Looks to be the only things I'm missing.

Credit goes to @robman66 and @Dr Honda for all the info! I'm just trying to put it into an easier consumable document. Please let me know if this is against rules and I will take it down. Below is what I have so far.

Thanks!

Edit: Also any info on how to disable the oil injection beep would be great too!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Lc-xTyWXX0fMzejzFWLIdaM1yuv6Rkx3/view?usp=sharing

So I think I went through all this effort for nothing. I took the tanks out, put the plug in and didn't check to even see if the mechanical oil pump was visible. To my surprise, it looks like its an electric pump seen in figure 39 in the image in the link attached.

https://www.perfprotech.com/mercury...-rail-components/assembly/7596/80?umodel=1415
It looks as though this engine was already blown up and replaced with the newer model so all of this for nothing. The dead giveaway were the "junkyard" markings on some parts not to mention the hack job of a wiring job. 20200502_145632.jpg20200502_145632.jpg20200502_145658.jpgI guess the silver lining is I should have to worry about it again.

Can someone please confirm the figure 39 is in fact the updated oil pump that replaces the mechanical that is prone to fail?

Thanks! 20200502_151705.jpg20200502_145732.jpg20200502_145658.jpg20200502_145611.jpg

I just got the oil system deleted on a rebuild. Getting a continuous beep indicating low oil. Oil tank is removed. Should i just install a jumper wire from the old wires that went to the oil level sensor cap?

Welllllll.......

It can be a pain. In your case, it's OK, since it sounds like you trailer your boat everywhere. Yes... if you add your oil first... pump fuel... and then drive to the docks... there is a high probability that your oil will get mixed.

BUT... there is a chance that it could be sitting on the bottom of your tank!!! (especially in colder weather)

Personally.... I would do it a little different.

I would take a 2 gallon fuel can with me to the pumps. Then... add your fuel to the main boat tank without "Topping off" the tank. Then... I would add the right amount of oil to the small fuel can, and add a gallon or so of fuel to that. THEN.... shake it hard to mix the oil and fuel together, and pour that into the main tank. At least, this way... you know the oil is already mixed into some fuel. Then... when you pour it into the boat... it will simply disperse. (This is known ans "Master batching" in the chem world)

Now.... were it becomes a TOTAL pain, is if you leave your boat on the water. There really isn't any way to assure that the oil is being mixed into the main tank.

Without a doubt... the early Mercury oil system is questionable... especially when it gets to the 10 year mark. But, if you are doing a rebuild... just replace the drive gear, with the stronger, new style gear, and don't worry. (The rest of the system is good)
Can you expand on what you mean by “stronger new style gear” please?

Back