my handlebars broke OFF!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated

speed51133

20190811_081932 (1).jpg20190811_081924.jpg
This was from light riding and jumping random waves in a freshwater lake in wisconsin. The bars sank, along with the throttle sensor and start button. The wiring harness also broke. Can't believe it......

Well, BRP responded to my email this AM. They told me my hull ID IS part of the recall. I was never informed. I also asked my dealer if it was part of a recall about 2 years ago. they told me no.

BRP wants me to bring it to the dealer and fill out an incident form. They have not really said if they will cover it, only that it was part of the recall and the recall was never claimed. No idea if there is a time limit on it. I already completed the incident form and emailed it all to the dealer (a different one, I hate my OLD dealer).

So BRP has stated they will cover it ( I think), but the dealer has not yet informed them the extent of what all is missing (start button, throttle sensor, broken wire harness, old handlebars, etc.). I just dropped it off last night. I also asked about how the replacement bars are stronger and if they would supply the trix bars instead of the "normal" ones.

This is the latest comment from BRP. I interpreted it as they are covering it, but it was qualified with "IF POSSIBLE".....

Hi Michael,

We apologize for the incorrect information and we have submitted your request for your contact information and name to be updated in our system. We will be sure to let you know once that has been completed.

With regards to the safety bulletin attached to your HIN, we are not able to see any set expiration date and at this time, we urge you to bring this up with your dealer as soon as possible. They would be able to call into the correct department for further information and if possible, they will happily have this repaired for you right away.

Thanks again for your time,

Cheers!

David-BRPcare

Well, BRP is NOT covering it. They said they will replace the column as part of the recall but the labor for all the parts and the parts themselves that sank in the lake are my loss. I just got the confirmation.

BRP also told my dealer that it is NOT POSSIBLE to swap the trix bars setup. What morons....BRP sells a retrofit kit!

The dealer told me they can try to work some kind of deal with a trade-in or something.

a used one what?? handlebars???

I don't yet know a total quote. The dealer is offering to try to help me out through some way. EVEN if BRP stiffs me and the dealer does as well, I can buy an aftermarket setup for like 650 plus like 200 for various sensors/wiring that are lost.

a used one what?? handlebars???

I don't yet know a total quote. The dealer is offering to try to help me out through some way. EVEN if BRP stiffs me and the dealer does as well, I can buy an aftermarket setup for like 650 plus like 200 for various sensors/wiring that are lost.

SO....any updates on the outcome of this debacle????

Sorry guys, I updated on greenhulk and never did here. Here is my update cut and pasted from that forum:
Well, BRP is NOT covering it. They said they will replace the column as part of the recall but the labor for all the parts and the parts themselves that sank in the lake are my loss. I just got the confirmation.

BRP also told my dealer that it is NOT POSSIBLE to swap the trix bars setup. What morons....BRP sells a retrofit kit!

The dealer told me they can try to work some kind of deal with a trade-in or something....

BRP stiffed me, but the dealer comp'ed the labor and parts for everything outside of the steering column campaign.

I had a hard time believing it. The service writer told me the dealer was going to repair it using an undisclosed method. He assured me it would be new parts, nothing salvaged, and all OEM. He would not tell me HOW they were acquiring the parts. Another employee told me the dealer decided to pay for it themselves, and absorb the cost because it was a crappy situation.

I mean I am very appreciative, but I just don't understand it. If it was pure good will, why did they not just tell me that? They were very coy about it. It was a different dealer than the one I bought the ski from. I've never bought anything from this place.

Did BRP really stiff me? I am tempted to call BRP to find out, or just forget it and move on.....

That is certainly a surprising outcome, but the ski has been repaired and is functional once again?

Considering the legalities that COULD have come into play (think if this happened and you crashed into something and were severely injured and/or hurt someone else, passenger, etc....)....somebody said..."let's just make this go away as quickly as possible"....who the heck knows, but if no harm, no foul and your ski is back in business and you now have a "dealer" that you like.....maybe the planets aligned for you.....take it and move on.

My wife once had an auto accident, not her fault but the other company wasn't going to take care of things even though their driver admitted fault.....as soon as I mentioned that my wife was pregnant....I received a check within 3 days to avoid any further thought of litigation. SOMETIMES stuff just gets taken care of....

The dealer most likely paid for the repair because they realize they failed to inform you of the recall. In this scenario the dealership would be liable.

Back