My Fix for the leaking oil tank

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

tresvatos1

I am sure we are all familiar with this problem. I added a $40 gallon of Synthetic oil only to find the bilge full and drive purple coated several days later. After replacing the oil line grommet rear grommet and having this happen again, I decided I needed a different design to fix this problem, as this was becoming a HEADACHE with cost and just general mess of waste oil in the hull. What I decided on was to take a John Deere tractor oil resistant 1/4" to 5/16" fitting , remove the oil tank and thread the existing hole to accommodate the fitting. I then placed gas & oil resistant Seal All around the threads and slightly torqued the new fitting in the hole. I then placed the old oil hose with hose clamp on the fitting after reinstalling the oil tank. I have had this set-up for about a week now with NO signs of any oil leaking from the oil tank on my 99 Speedster.

Does any one see this causing a problem...? Or is this a viable " fix " for this headache grommet setup on this oil tank maybe.

Attachments

• seadoo oil tank.jpg
    seadoo oil tank.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 102
You know what... I don't know why I never thought about it. I guess the reason is, I never had a bad oil leak in a tank.

BUT....

I use seals all to make fuel tanks for my RC jets. They have to take vibration, High G loads, impacts (from landings) and Jet-A fuel. A lot of my tanks are juice bottles, and I glue the caps on. Seals all works so well... it is allowed by the AMA. (the sanctioning safety body, and the people who provide my insurance)

I'm sure it will work fine.

FYI... that holds 1/2 gallon in that model.

53.jpg

320.jpg

321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It started leaking again and I was so out of ideas. I think I covered this in another post, but I widened the hole and just put a heated Brass nipple in the hole . The heat I hoped would melt plastic around the treads . Apparently it worked. I ve been three years now w no leaking oil tank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back