My First Ride 95 SPI need some advise

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewvsignguy

Being that the temp was going to get in the 80's today I dropped the doo in the water last night.

It started right up and being that I have never rode a jet ski I took it easy for the first 10 minutes checking to make sure I was not stranded in the middle of the lake.

So I have a few questions:

My oil light is always on (I have a 1/2 take of the correct oil). Why is it on?

Once I started to run the ski at WOT I noticed after 5-8 sec of WOT the ski bogged down. When releasing the throttle the ski picked back up, this went on for about 20 minutes until the ski really started to bog down at all RPM's and even shut off a few times but started right back up. So I pulled it back out of the water...

Upon further inspection today I was leaking LOTS of oil. I would say a quart of oil is what I cleaned out of the hull. One of those little injection lines was just oozing oil. So I fixed that and dropped it back in the water this afternoon.

Rode it again today and would run WOT for about 10-12 seconds before bogging down again. Once it bogs down I back off the throttle I can run it for another 10-12 sec before doing it again. For the most part I ran it for a half hour today and anything other then WOT it ran great and had lots of power.

I may be missing some information so any suggestions please chime in. I'm thinking a carb rebuild or a high speed jet has some dirt in it.

Yes rebuild carbs and clean the filter in carb and change the dreaded gray fuel lines if the ski has them. Do a search on gray fuel lines and find out why they need changing. Don't ride like that(boggin) you will roast your engine. It's running lean!

to verify a lean condition,take out the spark plugs,if its lean they will look whitish,u want to see a brownish color.
also,check the compression.just to make sure it didnt get hurt.

Get a compression reading, it should tell us something about the general condition of the engine. Remove the spark plugs, ground the cables, cold or cool engine, open throttle, compression should be in the 140-150 range.

Lou

Yes rebuild carbs and clean the filter in carb and change the dreaded gray fuel lines if the ski has them. Do a search on gray fuel lines and find out why they need changing. Don't ride like that(boggin) you will roast your engine. It's running lean!

I have already replaced the gray fuel lines, cleaned the fuel selector and the filter in the carb. Ill check the plugs tomorrow and do a compression check and report back with the results.

Well I did not get a chance to go by NAPA for compression gauge today. I did however pull the plugs and sure enough the front plug is Whitish and back plug is the Brownish preferred color. I have attached a picture of the plugs, I'll know for sure about the compression tomorrow. I wanted to take the carb off tonight but got home late but I'll still need a rebuilt kit if I take the carb off, correct?

plugs_resized2.jpg

I was just reading another post about those injection lines. I had no idea they needed to be primed and I know that line was completely clear of any oil when I put it back on. :banghead:

The plug that was running lean is the side I fixed the injection line. Makes sense now, I'll have to tear it back apart and make sure there is no air in the line too. :facepalm:

The compression test was 135 front and rear cylinders. So no real danger that I cooked something. I think I'll tear it back down and replace those 18 year old oil lines, prime the system correctly and try it again.

If it runs lean on the one side and fine on the other I will suspect it's a oiling issue and not a carb issue. Correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back