Must have tools

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mekanix

Premium Member
Premium Member
What are your must have tools and their part numbers ?

For me the two stroke and 4tech tools that I use most are:

Pump alignment tool with long shaft
Pump impeller tool (small and med size need next size for supercharged one though)
Pump pressure test cone
Camshaft and crank shaft locking tool
Sterring cable tool
Pop off tester
Supercharger wrench
Driveshaft holder
C-clip carbon seal spreader tool

Need: supercharger rebuilt tool kit
2 stroke and 4tech seal/bearing pushers
951 exhaust wrench.
Computer scanner.

Any ideas what else would be good

The 951 exhaust wrench is a waste of time in my opinion. Just pull the carbs and it couldn’t be easier.

Leak down block off kit.

Harbor Freight 20 Ton shop press. Only thing from them you can use more than once without breaking.

To add to the list above:

Ball end allen sockets (long and short)
Regular allen sockets
Swivel head rachet
Milwaukee M12 3/8" ratchet and 1/4" impact
Ratcheting end wrenches- fixed head and swivel head
Middle prybar in this set for pulling pumps Dasco Pro Pry Bar Set (3-Piece)-91 - The Home Depot
HF 2 ton engine crane w/ lift slings
Eastwood Crimp Right (weather pack) Connector kit
PVC cutter for hoses
Pick set
Gasket scraper

While it's not really a tool, one of the most valuable things I keep on hand is common gaskets, seals and the hardware from parts skis. I have a good stock of organized hardware that has saved me more times than I care to count.

My next purchase will be a better system to store nuts and bolts when disassembling a ski. Losing stuff gets old

Here's a limited list of what I used doing a RESTO and going forward to maintain these skis. Most things I had already, but acquiring a couple skis, gave me an excuse to get some more tools (toys).

2 ton crane lift (bought second hand many years ago off CL, came from HF)
Jet ski lift slings (Amazon)
Candoo Pro (PWC Muscle)
Engine alignment tool (SBT)
23mm impeller and PTO flywheel tool (ebay)
RV degree wheel (SBT)
Carb pop off and pressure tester (all pieces from ebay)
Torque wrench (a must have)
6" inch table vice (when you need to hold something)
8" grinder w/wire wheel (easy cleaning and polishing bolts/small parts)
3/8" air ratchet
2" air sander (HF)
Air die grinder (for those mat rivets)
7" digital buffer (HF special)
Metric tap and die set (cleaning threads and re threading bolts)
Viking battery charger/conditioner (HF special)
Blk & Decker sure shot stapler
Rubber mallet (when you need a gentle nudge)
Hand riveter (for reinstalling rub rail)
Grease gun (PTO and trailer hubs)
Soldering Iron (I never use crimp connections)
Multi Meter

Wish list - a climate controlled garage and a media blaster

Last edited:
Don't forget a JIS screwdriver (amazon) for getting out the carb screws! Don't rebuild without one.

What are your must have tools and their part numbers ?

For me the two stroke and 4tech tools that I use most are:

Pump alignment tool with long shaft
Pump impeller tool (small and med size need next size for supercharged one though)
Pump pressure test cone
Camshaft and crank shaft locking tool
Sterring cable tool
Pop off tester
Supercharger wrench
Driveshaft holder
C-clip carbon seal spreader tool

Need: supercharger rebuilt tool kit
2 stroke and 4tech seal/bearing pushers
951 exhaust wrench.
Computer scanner.

Any ideas what else would be good
Hi Mekanix
Thanks for the favourite tool list....I have half of the pump alignment tool however due to shipping costs I cannot get the other part....Is their any chance you could measure the parts with the red cross so that I can have them manufactured here in South Africa?

Attachments

• sea doo alignment tool.jpg
    sea doo alignment tool.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 31
Dang.... All I got is the Alignment kit, impeller wrench and a set of the pin pullers and 2 good multi meters for the electrics. I made a pop-off tester. I did break down and buy a 1/4" air ratchet. I use the air ratchet most of all and next the pop-off tester but since I pretty much go through the whole ski I'm never in one place for long. I guess I need to get on the ball and get more tools.. LOL

Dang.... All I got is the Alignment kit, impeller wrench and a set of the pin pullers and 2 good multi meters for the electrics. I made a pop-off tester. I did break down and buy a 1/4" air ratchet. I use the air ratchet most of all and next the pop-off tester but since I pretty much go through the whole ski I'm never in one place for long. I guess I need to get on the ball and get more tools.. LOL
HI etemplet ..Can you help me with measurements as above?

Engine alignment kit I posted a picture above...I need the measurements of the long shaft and the small adapters...items marked withc red cross....items with green tick I have got.

Sure I'll get that for you but I don't see a picture.

14 replies, and no Compression gauge???

My list:
Fuel Pressure gauge
Compression gauge
Pump Pressure test gauge
Leak-Down kit for DI

Plus most of above

The 951 exhaust wrench is a waste of time in my opinion. Just pull the carbs and it couldn’t be easier.

Leak down block off kit.

Harbor Freight 20 Ton shop press. Only thing from them you can use more than once without breaking.

Miki, how much is the block off kit and where do I get one?? You know I usually make my own stuff. Got a picture??

I have the frame of a 100ton press in my shop. One Day... Some day, I'm gonna add the hydraulics probably 60 or 75 ton ram. I have been very tempted to buy the 20 ton from harbor freight though... many times as it is a great value and all I need. I'm from the south... overkill is what I live for. LOL

I got my kit from Group K about 25 years ago and I am not sure if they still make them. I think it was racerxxx that sold the block off plates here then you just need a piece of hose, a schrader valve and a gauge that reads up to about 20 psi. You want to pressure test it up to 8 psi and be able to see 1 psi drops.

The best money I ever spent at Harbor Freight was the 20 ton press.

I figured I'd be making my own block of stuff as needed but was wondering what was included.

The one I have has a 0-20 psi gauge and molded rubber block off patterns that match the intake and exhaust Gaskets. They just get sandwiched between the block and manifolds.

Ok... I made a drawing of the long shaft. Send me an email address in a message so I can send it to you. I'll make a better drawing, scan it and send. I have not take measurements on the small adapters yet.
You are a star I will send email address now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back