Mixing n' Matching 04/05 & 06+ heads and blocks.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I know this seems to be redundant but i am just a little confused.

I have a 2005 RXT that needed a new cylinder head. So I got a remanufactured one from SBT. They sent me back a head that is from a 2008 (even after stating that i have a 2005). So now I have a 2005 block (still with the restrictor valve in it), 2008 cylinder head (single oil port), 2005 rockers and a 2005 rocker arm (w/ 3 oil ports).
All put back together and in the Ski.... I’ve got about 4 hours on the rebuild and it is consuming oil and smoking like a 2 stroke out of the water on the hose. The cylinder compression are all between 172-178psi. I rebuilt the supercharger at the same time, but I currently pulled it off and split the case to install a new Viton oil seal to be sure that it is not the oil leaker.

SBT says, that as long as I have the older rocker shaft that doesn’t restrict the flow (since the restricter valve in the block is doing that) installed that i sold be good to go?
What are your thoughts!? Does anyone out there happen to be running a newer cylinder head (06+) with older rocker shaft (04-05) on an older block (04-05) with the restricter valve in the block? Does anyone know if there is any literature out there that Sea Doo or some else says not to do this?

What are your thoughts!? Does anyone out there happen to be running a newer cylinder head (06+) with older rocker shaft (04-05) on an older block (04-05) with the restricter valve in the block? Does anyone know if there is any literature out there that Sea Doo or some else says not to do this?

The first 2 images are mine and the 4th is one that I found that compares both generations of cylinder heads.

Thx in advance for your help

Attachments

• B261B7AA-5386-436E-9132-4FEAB73B5B31.jpeg
    B261B7AA-5386-436E-9132-4FEAB73B5B31.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 10
  • C89D7D16-2C1C-481A-B8BD-A6FABA15F383.jpeg
    C89D7D16-2C1C-481A-B8BD-A6FABA15F383.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 9
  • A3487482-5430-49DA-A0C9-E85B54A2AEBA.jpeg
    A3487482-5430-49DA-A0C9-E85B54A2AEBA.jpeg
    26.3 KB · Views: 10
It should work, It sounds like you have a valve that did not seat in the head, is bent, or hanging open., The head needs to come off and be reworked. If you bought it from SBT complain to them. Did you install it or pay someone to do it? would be interesting to see if it is just 1 cylinder or all 3 that are causing the issue. Did you rebuild the motor? could the piston rings be scored or broken?

I purchased the ski with a blown motor. I rebuilt the whole thing. Took an NA block that had a warped head but a good bottom end. Disassembled everything and checked out both oil pumps. Marked the rods their location and orientation on the crank, since I reused the bearings. They were in great shape. Did a thorough job of cleaning. Source three good SC pistons. Honed the the cylinders and installed new rings on the Pistons. Use the old SC primary cover. Sent the warped head in as a core to SBT. ARP studs installed throughout during a super clean and meticulous assembly process. Rebuilt the supercharger with a factory rebuild kit and Riva clutch washers.

The ski runs great. Smooth idol. It’s quieter then my other 2005 RXT. It just smokes and consumes oil....[emoji26]

I probably need to do a leak down test. That’s my next step.

I am in contact with SBT about the head parts and their compatibility. Hope to hear back from them on Monday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back