Minivan to pull a boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cubicalrat

Hi Gang! I would like to buy a minivan for the family in the next month, but would also like to buy a fishing boat in five years when my kids are old enough to appreciate it. The more I research the topic, the more confused I become. Some state that minivans should not be used for towing, even if they come with a towing package (Class II - 3500ibs for the town and country). One of the reasons listed is because its front wheel drive. I have a 00 Explorer that I pulled my dads bass boat that is ~2500 lb. It has less horse power and torque than the specs for the town country. But its a 4x4, I do not think I ever tested pulling the boat out with only two wheel drive. I do not recall ever seeing any minivans at the boat ramp over the last decade. My question to the team . . . has anyone sucessfully used their minivan to pull their boat? Was it able to easily pull the boat out the water on a wet boat ramp? I tried calling Chrysler and also spoken with a dealer, but they just read me back the specs and stated it could pull `3XXX lbs with the towing package. Thanks! :cool:

Sorry a little late but my family would pull our mid 80s 18ft Renken bow rider out of the water with a 2001 Chevy Venture. If I remember correctly, we added an aftermarket hitch and plug for the lights. It didn't have much power (~180 hp) and only front wheel drive. It would pull the boat out of a pretty steep ramp even when it was wet. We just had someone sit on the hood so the wheels wouldn't spin. We also never trailered it far because the engine would overheat because of the weight of the boat.

I've pulled my 19 foot boat with both a 1998 Pontiac & 2004 Chevy minivans with no problems but MAKE SURE you get the towing package installed. With GM I believe it included extra cooling power, prewire for trailer lights, HD battery and radiator, also had a built in air compressor for the auto air shocks.

Of course GM no longer makes the Minivans so check into what Mopar offers in the way of these options.
In 5 yrs who knows what might be available

I pull a 98 sportster 1800, 2500lbs roughly with a 2012 Toyota sienna se, the sienna se,xle, and limited are equipped with tow prep package standard. Not only can it tow this boat easily for long distances , it also gets great gas mileage doing so. I've even pulled this boat out on steep ramps without issue, although I'm not recommending you do that.

Steep wet asphalt ramps I would avoid, concrete ramps with grooves are no issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back