Mercury 240 M2 EFI starts and stalls immediately after 2 secs

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordinion

Hi everyone , I am new to this forum and i hope everyone will be patient with me.
It's about a Bombardier Islandia with Mercury 240 M2 EFI engine which has been rebuilt because of a piston failure. Since we have put it back on the boat it does not run more than 2 seconds after it's started.
I have the repairs manual ..... and i have done some Things in order to make it run:
1. I have set correct timing , idle spark timing 9 degrees and maxium spark timing 26 degrees.
2. I have bought a diagnostic tool Mercruiser Rinda Technology , and diagnosed it , nothing wrong (only one question about Knock sensor -the value does not seems to change 0.00 VDC)
3. I have check fuel pump pressure :34 PSI
4. I have check all 3 triggers as the repair manual recommends :everything ok
5. I have tried ( i know it's wrong , don't judge me !!!:)) ) with starting fluid and as long as a inject the fluid , the engine keeps runing , so i figured it's a fuel related problem or fuel management (EFI ).
6. Battery fully charged
7. No beeping no water in the gas.
8. Oil up to correct level

The accurate description is : ignitions on , i can hear the fuel pump for around 30 sec ,try to start , it crancks starts and dies . If try to start it a little bit accelerated , some times does start and stays longer runing ( 10 secs) but around 3000 -3500 rpm, when release the throttle it dies. If inject the start fuel , idles and runs .
I appreciate any advise !!!
Thnaks

I have a 2002 challenger 1800 with a merc 240 m jet efi with the same problem it starts will idle for 5-15 seconds then stalls but will starts right back up but does the same thing again, the fuel pressure is 35-37 psi, changed port side temp sensor, the Tps checks out with either the low voltage setting at idle or the high voltage setting at wot but can't seem to get both settings to work with a single adjustment, tried a new Tps and have the same problem, if I set the idle voltage at 0.24-0.26 the wot voltage will only be 5.25-5.75 and if I adjust the wot voltage to 7.46 then at idle voltage is 2.75-3.45 I would appreciate some direction for here on what to check next?

Do you have a primer bulb or the primer pump? From what I understand the TPS will not keep it from running, it will (supposed) to go into a limp mode and will run rich as a fail safe.

I have a 2002 challenger 1800 with a merc 240 m jet efi with the same problem it starts will idle for 5-15 seconds then stalls but will starts right back up but does the same thing again, the fuel pressure is 35-37 psi, changed port side temp sensor, the Tps checks out with either the low voltage setting at idle or the high voltage setting at wot but can't seem to get both settings to work with a single adjustment, tried a new Tps and have the same problem, if I set the idle voltage at 0.24-0.26 the wot voltage will only be 5.25-5.75 and if I adjust the wot voltage to 7.46 then at idle voltage is 2.75-3.45 I would appreciate some direction for here on what to check next?
Do you have a primer bulb or the primer pump? From what I understand the TPS will not keep it from running, it will (supposed) to go into a limp mode and will run rich as a fail safe.[/QUOTE
Do you have a primer bulb or the primer pump? From what I understand the TPS will not keep it from running, it will (supposed) to go into a limp mode and will run rich as a fail safe.
The boat does not have a primer bulb but it does have fuel pressure with the key in the on position. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel diagnostic valve on the vapor separator assembly and I get 35-37 psi with the key on and when I start the motor it still maintains the fuel pressure. If you drive the boat when started before it stalls it bogs and stalls out but if you can get by the bog it runs good at WOT but when you pull back the throddle to stop the motor stalls. Any ideas?

I am no expert by any means, many people here know more than me. I'm still having trouble with my boat. Having said that, since you said you didn't have a primer bulb you probably still have the fuel line connected to the primer pump on the port side of the engine. These have been known to fail. Remove the fuel line and install a regular primer bulb. It's cheap. I believe The primer pump only provides fuel during starting and once the motor is running the primer pump is out of the loop. The bulb will stay primed. It's a cheap test. Also I have heard that the throttle guardian is know to fail. Most people remove it. It's a grey box in the helm. Mine was removed before I got the boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back