Making my own starter cables

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

dan87951

My positive and ground cables from my starter are rotted. I would like to make up new cables but don't know what lug sizes I need to buy. Does anyone know what lug size are needed?

Thanks

Yea, he has some great stuff. This is a more of a spend some time with my little cousin type of thing. He has really taken a interest in Sea Doo's and this is a simple project him and I can bond over.

I had him make me special cables. Different size ends and weird length as I hooked up a kill switch so I can both isolate the battery for charging and kill the ski when docked.

I finally finished my cables. I was going for a factory original look and I think they turned out great. I ordered enough material to build 3 sets of cables so I can replace them in all my X4's. The original cables were pretty rotten so its time. Hard to believe these skis are over 20 years old now.

Attachments

• IMG_0282 (1).JPG
    IMG_0282 (1).JPG
    105.4 KB · Views: 64
Nice work Dan. I'd like to make some new ones for mine and install a battery switch. How did you crimp the lugs on?

Those look great. Would you mind sharing where and what materials you used?

Thanks! I don't know what the forum rules are on giving outside links so I better not (PM me if you want to know). Below is my material list that I used on my two 95' XP 800's. These parts can be found online pretty easily. Hope this helps.

1. Red 6 gauge tinned copper wire.
2. Black 6 gauge tinned copper wire.
3. 3/8" Marine grade shrink wrap - this contains a glue that seals the wire and lug together to prevent water from coming in.
4. Five 1/4" lugs and one 90 degree 5/16" lug (ground for starter).
5. I reused the red terminals and split loom that covers that cables. If you wanted to buy new split loom you will need 3/8" size.

Nice work Dan. I'd like to make some new ones for mine and install a battery switch. How did you crimp the lugs on?

Thanks! I prefer soldering the lugs on. I purchased some solder slugs and used a torch to solder the lugs onto the new wire. It was very easy to do!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back