Making a SBT Core Run

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Braley

Premium Member
Premium Member
I have tons of dead engines and parts. I build good used engines until there is not much left that is good. Now there is hardly any floor space, everything else is stacked on a dead engine. There is a trail going through so thin that you have to have your toes pointed in the right direction to even take a step.

Shipping core parts is really out of the question if one hopes to gain anything. That's why I feel my best option is to drive the stuff to a place that's reachable.

I was not sure what they are paying for cores so I called and eventually got a call back from they're buyer Brian. He explained that there is no list of prices because it fluctuates according to what they have and what they are low on.

Pre 717 engines only bring 10 bucks lol. However 717 and 787 cores are $75 and carbed 951's are $150 each. I can see where I could probably trade my trash for a rebuilt 951.

That's a lot of driving so I'm also negotiating my favorite parts from an old XPL race ski being parted out down there also. Just thought I would post what I found in case anyone else was curious or knew a better way for me to go.

If you come down hit me up. We are in Tampa and lunch is on us :)

Hit up a metal recycler?

It sounds like the salvage value of the metal itself would be higher than you are getting for some of the not so popular cores. I save up anything aluminum, that goes by the pound. Steel goes by the ton.

I guess that explains why their shipping is so expensive... So they can make some money on the back end.

I'm too much of a hoarder as it is but now I'm kicking myself for throwing out bad pistons and RAVE parts. I'm missing hardware and trashed pistons or I could put another 951 together.

If you come down hit me up. We are in Tampa and lunch is on us :)

Thanks I'll hit you guys up. Looking like Monday but still not sure.

The back of my old Rover is starting to fill up. This took me all day and should be $850 worth. I think I can make another engine or two but it's gonna be harder since there are no complete ones left.

Couldn't you take all those raves off and try to sell separately? I'm amazed at the used raves on eBay, just not sure if they ever really sell.

I assume SBT only cares about the cases so you have some scrap in the exhaust manis as well.

If those exhaust manis were gonna come off with out major heat, huge hammers, and broken bolts then they would be off. These are all salt sunk turds that are rusted shut. If an engine was decent with no broken bolts I'd build it myself. Hopefully they don't take issue with the condition I'm sure they've seen it all (I hope). The RAVE parts have to be there for the core to be eligible. I went through them and only gave up the ones with the loosest tolerances.

Guys, scrap aluminum is worthless right now. Cylinders being mixed with steel even less. The crank is worth the most since it's cast but you might get dinged on the bearings. Still that being said, you're not gonna get chit for it at the scrap yard. He'd be hard pressed to get a hundo for that truck load. Not worth the time.

I usually disassemble my rot engines and toss the leftover crap away. Sell raves, flywhells, pto, heads, cyls, cranks, cases separate and cheap. I only save complete cores now for an exchange otherwise it's not worth the trouble, sbt used to be a lot more generous then it made sense, but even then I'd swap out any good parts for the rusted stuff.

I find that I get a better return individually than as a whole core.

if your parts are truely not usable however, and you know which fit that description, then it does make sense to dump as a core for whatever you can get, option B is the trash bin. some of the real nasty ones just plain refuse to come apart anyway, bolts start snapping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice meeting you today [MENTION=51824]Matt Braley[/MENTION] hopefully you have more time next time!

I may need a lower case for 787 lol

I have a really super clean 787 lower case with crank, still has one cylinder stuck on it (bonus!!) but I already yanked the Flywheel and starter. I was going to either cut the rod or go to work on the cyl, but shipping to jax isn't that bad, I'd cut you a good deal.
228.jpg
1.jpg

send me a PM if you need one.

I just got home. I started driving at 6:25am. I did stop here and there along the way but woke up north of Gainesville, drove to Clearwater, back to G'ville, and then home to the panhandle.

It was great meeting JoeZ and HFgreg. Super nice guys and they sold me an old X4 racer they had around the shop so that was an unexpected bonus.

SBT was busy but I finally got out of there. They ended up paying over 13 hundred for my load of rusted shut cores but after I got a rebuilt 951 they gave me a check for 26 bucks. They only dinged me $50 for a small hole in a upper 951 case. They paid 5 bucks each for all the pto's I left on though so that was a bonus.

If I ever get this Toyota back together I am making a similar run , but I am taking a couple of days off and stopping in and seeing Matt Braley lol

Ok Matt I did get the Toyota back together and I did make a core run, I was not too impressed.
I am going to tell you why, I left at about 10:30 AM , after a flat tire around Dothan and a two hour wait to get a new tire I arrived at about 2:20 in the morning in Clearwater.

So I find the place and I have to say it is not at all what I was expecting, for the largest remanufacturer of PWC in the world the building is pretty small, the staff there was friendly and helpful however. Here is where I got rubbed the wrong way, I deliver a truckload of cores, one 185 4tec short block about three 787 short blocks several 720 ,657 and a 587 short block plus bunches of various cylinder, cranks, balance shafts, and a whole box of impellers and a stack of heads.

Then I get the kick in the nuts, apparently there is no one there to tear down the 4tec engine, so instead of paying me for the parts there were no questions about and then settling on the 4tec later they are mailing me a check for an undisclosed amount, so from where I am sitting at right now I am out $100.00 in gas, $150.00 for a new tire , about $100.00 for a motel room for the night and a truckload of engine cores, so far I have nothing to show for my efforts,

How much is the check for you ask, who knows , it's anyones guess, could be $50.00, could be $1500.00 no one there seemed to know for sure.

Glad I made it back safe too, I was wondering for a minute there, we came right through the area around Tallassee where it froze, Interstate 10 was closed for a 50 mile stretch so I had to detour through Valdosta GA and go through Dothan. Around Lake City it looked like a winter wonderland.

My river house on the Suwannee is one town over from Lake City (Live Oak). I hope I don't have freeze problems over there. I've got no pump house and I don't winterize skis.

Matt I would be really concerned about those skis if I was you, it looked really nasty when I came through there. On another note hopefully I will have a check in my mailbox tomorrow when I check it, if not me and someone are going to have words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back