Lucas : Engine oil stop leak !

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years ago, I had the lower unit seals replaced and with less than 10 hours of running time, the smoke is worse than ever, on my 1997 challenger single engine boat. I am putting a block off kit on the engine this weekend and going to run pre-mix. So my question is, has anybody used this Lucas product or another like product in their oil tank that will now only be feeding the rotary gear to help stop the awful smoke while running?
Thank you
Cliff

THe issue is your inner crank seals are leaking not the outer. So unless you replaced the entire crankshaft you did not fix the issue last time.

No, fix in a bottle is going to fix the worn out seals. A valve can slow it when sitting but not when running if they are that bad.

Going to premix won't fix the issue either but you will be spending a lot more on oil that way.

THe issue is your inner crank seals are leaking not the outer. So unless you replaced the entire crankshaft you did not fix the issue last time.

No, fix in a bottle is going to fix the worn out seals. A valve can slow it when sitting but not when running if they are that bad.

Going to premix won't fix the issue either but you will be spending a lot more on oil that way.

mikidymac, thank you for your expertise, I will not use the oil stop.

If you have a moment,could you please coment on why some go to premix anyway? I am shying away from doing this but I don't know why.

Thanks again, mikidmac I appreciate all your help.

Cliff.

The big myth is that the oil injection is unreliable and ruins engines.

The reality is 99.9% of the time it’s the fuel system running lean not the oil injection.

The only thing that’s actually proven to fail is the little 3/32” oil lines from the pump to the intake manifold and they should be changed.

I have never seen or heard of any of the seadoo pumps failing and I have been working on these for over 25 years.

It’s mechanical so anything mechanical can fail but the seadoo pumps are basically bulletproof.

Yep, oil injection and needle rod bearings were the best upgrade since the electric starter. For those of us who remember the days we pre-mixed 16:1 with 30W motor oil.

I'd never disable the injection on my Seadoo.

The big myth is that the oil injection is unreliable and ruins engines.

The reality is 99.9% of the time it’s the fuel system running lean not the oil injection.

The only thing that’s actually proven to fail is the little 3/32” oil lines from the pump to the intake manifold and they should be changed.

I have never seen or heard of any of the seadoo pumps failing and I have been working on these for over 25 years.

It’s mechanical so anything mechanical can fail but the seadoo pumps are basically bulletproof.
I threw a rod a week ago in my 02 Challenger EFI, and had myself convinced it was the oil system. But, as you pointed out, it's probably more likely a lean condition.

This is good info so that I don't just assume it's the oil injector and not check everything when I replace the power head.

I threw a rod a week ago in my 02 Challenger EFI, and had myself convinced it was the oil system. But, as you pointed out, it's probably more likely a lean condition.

This is good info so that I don't just assume it's the oil injector and not check everything when I replace the power head.

Sounds like a Mercury Sportjet? If yes, not a Rotax thus the oiling system isn't the same. The Sportjet has well known oiling system issues and there are solutions.

When you mention a valve, do you mean a shut off on both lines or just the one to the rotary valve itself? Cliff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back