Lube/oiling SBT 787 pre break in

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

ghostboner

Got sbt 787 engine...ready to install rv/cover....inspected visually inside engine ports.... noticed seemed dry.....no assembly lube.???....SHOULD I LUBE PISTON TOP AND OR CRANK BEARINGS BEFORE TURNING ENGIE BY HAND TO ACHIEVE TDC? And does sbt engine come wth cb shaft resovoir filled wth oil?

Just about what you expect from SBT. Make sure to add some extra oil to your first 10 gallons of gas. Are you still using the oil pump?

Pre mix..... block off kit...clean tank ...new lines to side of engine......new filter .....Now what type of oil to use for pre mixing.???....since its a 96 im thinking using same oil in gas tank as oil tank to prevent mixing of two oils.....it was suggested to use cheap oil in oil tank.....

I researched this debate for a year......i understand oil lines are what fails not pump.....but how easy??? I mix oil for chainsaws n weedeaters......

Like I said researched this while back....worked out of town 6 weeks at time or longer home for two.....96 gtx is my home project/obsession....I was doubting my purchase of the amsoil interceptor.....

Like I said researched this while back....worked out of town 6 weeks at time or longer home for two.....96 gtx is my home project/obsession....I was doubting my purchase of the amsoil interceptor.....

You can do both, I kept the oil injection, but also run premix of about 2 oz per gal for 60:1. It doesn't smoke, and it's an extra insurance policy to hopefully save the top end if something were to fail on the oil injection lines/pump or a lean condition. Probably preference on oil, I choose XPS full synthetic, $46 per gal shipped to my doorstep.

It's only the small 3/32" oil lines that fail sometimes after 20 years. So replace them once and be good for another 20 years. It is always the carbs running lean that kills these engines not the oil pump so even premix isn't going to save you.

It's only the small 3/32" oil lines that fail sometimes after 20 years. So replace them once and be good for another 20 years. It is always the carbs running lean that kills these engines not the oil pump so even premix isn't going to save you.

Group K doesn't share that logic, they think a little premix vs. none it'll have a good chance of saving the top end in a lean condition. I figure 1 gallon of oil per 64 gallons of fuel so why not...

Last edited:
Group K doesn't share that logic, they think a little premix vs. none it'll have a good chance of saving the top end in a lean condition. I figure 1 gallon of oil per 64 gallons of fuel so why not...

Good luck with that. With the carbs running lean from being clogged a small amount of premix is going to do nothing for you. Your only indication is going to be when the engine seizes. It is the fuel that is the carrier for the oil and when you run it lean and hot you loose your carrier and oil which isn't enough to keep the piston rings from breaking the oil film off the cylinders and you seize.

I will agree that it can't hurt anything but don't count on it saving your engine if your carbs and fuel system are causing the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back