LRV or SUV advise.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

monograms

I am considering the purchase of a four seater PWC to pull my kids around. Please rank the following units based on your experience and feel free to explain.

Seadoo LRV with:

951 Carb. over 125 Hours
951 Carb. rebuilt approx. 25 Hours
951 DI under 100 Hours
951 DI over 100 Hours
951 DI rebuilt Low Hours

Yamaha SUV With:

over 100 Hours
under 100 Hours
rebuilt under 100 Hours
rebuilt over 100 Hours

Here is what I think I know. I prefer the Seadoo LRV seating but understand the Yamaha SUV is probably a little more reliable. I like the DI because it runs cleaner and quieter much like a 4 tec. but is very difficult to diagnose if it has a fuel problem.

I really want to make the right decision and really appreciate any and all input.

The 951 typically get a bad reputation because as a whole PWC's don't get the maintenance they deserve. The 951 makes huge power for it's displacement so like anything high performance it does have a shorter life. You are on a seadoo forum so most of us will say seadoo. Get the ski that you like the most and the lowest hours possible. I say LRV. I never cared for the way the Yamaha's handle and have seen plenty of the 1200's with thrown rods and a 1200 triple is more expensive to rebuild than a 951 twin.

The 951 typically get a bad reputation because as a whole PWC's don't get the maintenance they deserve. The 951 makes huge power for it's displacement so like anything high performance it does have a shorter life. You are on a seadoo forum so most of us will say seadoo. Get the ski that you like the most and the lowest hours possible. I say LRV. I never cared for the way the Yamaha's handle and have seen plenty of the 1200's with thrown rods and a 1200 triple is more expensive to rebuild than a 951 twin.

x2 and when a 1200 loses a cylinder it won't grind to a halt like a seadoo twin. i've got some pics on my phone of a blown 1200 Kawasaki, there is straight up nothing left of the rear cases or crank. but yes stay away from a di unless you know what you're doing and have the proper equipment to work on it yourself.

By which I mean I personally enjoy the carb 951. Just that a 20 year old 951 DI will be a problem child for any owner...

I don't know the age of the kids, however the cost/rarity of this ski may be comparable to acquiring two skis.

Two skis quadruples your fun :)

many combine a double and triple person ski for the best of both worlds. Hauling a single ski is no easier (and sometimes harder) than pulling a double trailer.

Just throwing it out there :) in PA you only have to be.. 16? now to drive?

When I started in 1993, I was only 10! And there were no laws about age or license.

We are on the water in MN so won't trailer much. The kids are 7 and 10 and it will mostly be used for towing. We may consider a Spark later for a more of a play ski.

I guess I would actually go with the Yamaha under 100 hours. Do the proper maintenance, its not like either of these skis will be a sport ski anyways. I have had really good luck with our Yamaha, but for some reason I like my smaller doo's. In my experience, the seadoo has more in between problems than the Yamaha. It seems like the yamaha's either work well, or not at all. Where the seadoo's can have problems in all areas. Just my 2 cents having a 787 and a Yamaha 701

I found one that has a rebuilt motor (carb.) 25hrs. And one with original motor (carb.) 150 hours. Both are similar price one is a little further away. What are your thoughts. How long will a rebuild last vrs original. BTW I don't plan on drag racing this thing. I will probably hold 35 to 45 when I am not pulling kids. If that makes any difference.

I guess I would actually go with the Yamaha under 100 hours. Do the proper maintenance, its not like either of these skis will be a sport ski anyways. I have had really good luck with our Yamaha, but for some reason I like my smaller doo's. In my experience, the seadoo has more in between problems than the Yamaha. It seems like the yamaha's either work well, or not at all. Where the seadoo's can have problems in all areas. Just my 2 cents having a 787 and a Yamaha 701

You are right especially the 701. Had a 94 Pro VXR, that 701 is a reliable motor no matter how much abuse you put to it. Now the vxr hull.. laughable at best . Has to be one of the worst handling hulls ever made.

You are right especially the 701. Had a 94 Pro VXR, that 701 is a reliable motor no matter how much abuse you put to it. Now the vxr hull.. laughable at best . Has to be one of the worst handling hulls ever made.

Agreed about the hull. Ski is super boring. But it is good to put your friend who you think would break, sink, or wreck a Seadoo :)

I found one that has a rebuilt motor (carb.) 25hrs. And one with original motor (carb.) 150 hours. Both are similar price one is a little further away. What are your thoughts. How long will a rebuild last vrs original. BTW I don't plan on drag racing this thing. I will probably hold 35 to 45 when I am not pulling kids. If that makes any difference.

bring your compression tester and also test both in the water before buying.

150 hours isn't too many, even on a 951 and especially in a larger ski like the LRV. you'll want to see if the fuel lines have been changed and the fuel system and carbs have been rebuilt, if not, you might need to make that your first weekend project.

compression on a good 951 should be at around 130psi, 120psi is serviceable, and below that you want to start looking at a rebuild. either one you buy, it would be a good idea to change the jet pump oil since it has likely never been done.

also you mention that you're on the water, are either of these skis "on the water" as well? reason i'm asking is that a boat house ski will generally be in better shape than one thats been trailered to and from the lake, beached on shores and such vs. one that sits on a lift and gets put in the water and tied up to docks. at least that was my observation from when i lived on a lake.

ok, I have 1997 GP1200 Yamaha. I have to say this has been the best ski I have owned. You couldn't get me to sell it. I know it has like 200 hours on it not sure never really cared to pay attention. When I got it I had to put a topend, new head, & rebuilt carbs. Dropped the oil injections since that is Yamaha's weak point. The lines are hard to see. I can do whatever to this ski and it keeps on going. IT sucks with 2 people on it but who wants a passenger. It launches so many people off of it since I forget to tell them about the ride plate and intake grate. When you turn it bits hard and when aren't ready off you go..

To me hands down I would buy the Yamaha. I just haven't heard the best stuff on 951. I can tall you from the 1200. Do the carbs drop the oil injection and you will be good. I like my seadoo's but I don't think I would buy a 951. I would get all other 2-smokers..

Maybe I'm in the minority but personally I find pulling a tube, and especially a wake boarder or a skier more trouble than it's worth. Have you considered getting a small boat instead?

Lou

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back