Low compression

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gortex

Hello,
Last year I bought a 2001 gti . Before i bought it the guy told me it had 150 psi on both cylinders. When i got there he showed me the compression, it was 145 on both when we tested it. I ended up having to replace fuel lines and selector valve, & carb kit. After that it seemed to work really well. I goes about 45 mph so that's about all I expected out of it. I took it when we went on vacation to the east coast from ontario this summer. It worked good but would bog down over 3/4 throttle. I figured it was a carb adjustment it needed but since it was only for a week and it would still do about 40 mph I left it as is. I did notice it was harder to start down there having to pump the throttle when it was turning over to get it to start most times. I remembered reading they wouldn't start if their compression was too low in the water so when I got back home I figured I would recheck the compression. Both were around 124 psi. I've had it out on the lake back in ontario and it starts great. Would the hard starting when in nova scotia be related to the low compression? I also tested the compression with a little oil added to the the cylinder and it was right at 145psi. Would the guy have added oil before showing me the compression or could I have lost compression that quickly? I wouldn't have put anymore than 10 hours on it since I bought the seadoo. How low is to low for the seadoo to keep working?
Thanks

I assume you got the 720 / 717 rotax engine. I have a jetboat with a single 720, it has 130 psi in both cylinders. I haven't looked into this and kind of scared of spending more money so I am running it. The top end has 10 hours on fresh cylinders and new pistons is the thing. I read aftermarket pistons will have 10psi less than factory, so i should be getting about 140 psi. I checked it cold. One thing to note was I ran it with a loose intake manifold (became loose), so not sure if I overheated or damaged the cylinders before I fixed this issue. Otherwise it has good performance from what I can tell.

Yes it is the 720 engine. It does work well and I just figured out the bogging issue last weekend. When i changed the fuel lines I also did the fuel selector valve. When out on the lake I tried a fee things and when I switched to reserve on the fuel selector valve everything worked great. Not sure if it is a bad selector valve or line I tank. I think I'll do the top end over once I'm finished using it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back