Lots of exhaust coming out of carbs causing no run 96 gti

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

nbaddorf

Hi all, I have a 1996 seadoo gti with 717 engine, and my problem is that there is a lot of smoke coming out of the carburetors when I try to start the engine. I did some googling but only found one other person with a problem similar. I have no idea what would cause this problem, I have never seen this ski run before, but the previous owner had it running 6 months ago. Any help is appreciated.

Would the timing get messed up somehow without me doing anything to it? The previous owner had this running recently and we both haven't messed with it. ]

Have you seen it run or did the PO just tell you it ran, big difference.

Smoke out the carbs suggests the timing is off and it is typically from a stripped rotary gear unless someone was in there messing with the rotary valve.

He told me it ran, but he seemed like an honest guy. Now that I think about it, right at the beginning, it did run on one cylinder but not the other because of carb problems. Since then, thanks to your suggestion, I have rebuilt the carbs with genuine Mikuni and both cylinders get gas. I talked to my grandfather and he thought that the engine might just be getting flooded. Would that cause lots of smoke to come out of the carb?

Flooding usually causes hard starting and backfires out the exhaust.

How do you know smoke is coming out the carbs? You shouldn't be running it with the airbox off as the carbs will not pull vacuum correctly.

Thanks for you suggestion on keeping the airbag on. I tried that and it seems too be working a bit better! I still cant get it to start, but I think that the carbs are giving way to much gas to the cylinders. I did get it to run for a second with the gas turned off.

Do you have any forums you suggest on setting the carbs correctly?

Seadoo Carb Rebuild Thread

A stock seadoo will run perfectly with stock settings, if not then you have something wrong.

1996GTI717270500278270500279BN-38I (SB)MAIN-130 PILOT-67.51.227050026736 - 60LOW- 1-1/4 HIGH- 0

I checked my notes from when I rebuilt my carbs and the high and low screws are correctly set. Do you have any ideas on what might cause this ski to not run?

I checked the compression with a Harbor freight tester which after purchasing it, learned that they are not super accurate, but I tested it with the smallest tube and got compression that seemed good compared to others tests. I have not done anything with rotary valves so I don't think that is a problem. And for electric, I think that is all working, and I do have spark.

I can get it to sometimes run now if I turn off the gas, and whenever I pull out the sparks, they are drenched. My theory is that the pop of pressure in the carbs are too low. I don't have a tester, but if you think that could be at least part of the problem, then I will make one. By the way, thanks so much for you help! I really appreciate it!

Sounds like your needles and seats are leaking. You need to check pop-off and leak down on the carbs.

I just finished buying/building a pop off tester and testing the carbs. I got 40 psi on both carbs, which is the minimum that the GTI is rated for. I know that in your carb rebuild post, you say that you like to be on the upper limit of the ratings. Would you suggest that I buy springs or is that not the problem?

As long as you are using the correct springs it should be fine. Once they are back together be sure to check leak down.

I did some research, and I am not sure about this, but I think that the GTI uses the 80 gram, black springs. One spring that was in my carb looked sort of green (maybe rust), and the other metal. One of the previous owners did some work on this ski (replaced all fuel lines and did a carb rebuild), so that person might have changed out springs. Do you think the problem is still pop-off or something else? I did to a bit of a leak test, but the air compressor I am using leaks a lot so the pressure doesn't last long.

1996 GTi should use two 80 gram springs. Depending on the age they will be either black or dark green.

Ok, so that sounds like I have the original springs then. If that isn't the problem, do you have any ideas what might be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back