Loss of RPM / Speed RXTX

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spimothy Leary

2008 rxtx stage 1...
Ski not running right, sigh. Can't say for sure if it was a sudden or gradual loss, the last 4-5 rides i've had have been very slow group cruises with no high speed runs but when I went out with 1 fast buddy two weeks ago, I noticed this major issue (speed/rpm) and a bit of surging around 6300.

The last legit speed run 4-5 weeks ago I was just a hair under 71 mph and I can't recall rpm's but i'm thinking 7550, very hot & humid that day.

Current condition.

6600 rpm, 61mph, obviously should be way higher on both.

rebuilt supercharger, it was slipping and time for a rebuild anyway so it had to be done. took it out yesterday and my speed/rpm issues are exactly the same.

So, now the gremlin chasing begins via process of elimination.

impeller and wear ring (new) good condition, no cavitation that I notice.
intercooler new and not leaking
new plugs
have a spare coil and can do some coil swapping during next water test.
New battery (3 months) but will make sure battery has full charge and do a load test.
just bought a cheap boost gauge, will install and see what that shows < maybe a leak?.

other possible issues?
bad sensor that's not throwing a code? we can swap out and try maybe its slowing the timing?
compression, will verify.

other thing's i'm looking into...

injectors,
fuel regulator?
exhaust leak that I haven't noticed
fuel filter ? < possible (likely) its never been changed and I have 200 hours I just ordered one from RIVA for $26 < can't hurt to change that.

anything else that i'm overlooking?

Last edited by a moderator:
update just in case anybody cares.

after eliminating everything and dam near giving up...

intermittent issues with brand new AGM battery was the cause of my problems, it took full charge, passed load test, yet wouldn't push the ski past 6600. But Friday we were messing with it and the battery was low again, the charger said 6 volts so I went to the store and bought one.

Put a brand new battery in, instantly jumped back to 8K rpm, top speed 71.7 in really bad conditions.

3 weeks chasing gremlins because I trusted the battery. Time to ride !

lesson learned, if running issues can't be explained by obvious mechanical failure, clean your contacts and ground, replace the juice with known good battery before you start working down the ladder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Woe! Thanks for the update. I thought If your stator was good that it would have plenty of juice. So lesson learned. Stator and battery have to be good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back