Looking to buy a Utopia 185 2003 with mercury optimax 200

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katia

Hi!

I am new here and totally new on the boat market. I bought a cottage by a lake last summer and am looking into getting a boat for summer fun. The lake is small so I imagine I will mostly be doing short boat rides under an hour at a time and would like to be able to easily do water sports.

I am a single lady so no man to help with the mechanics....! I read about Utopia boats on this forum, it sounds like the mercury engine is reliable but can be costly to fix. Can someone please define costly and put a number on it?

I found a boat that has new seat covers and is extra clean. New battery and engine as well, 10K CAN. I like the price and the looks of it, but need to make a smart and informed decision. I was initially looking at outboard motor boats, but this one caught my attention and I decided to dig deeper.

More info \ questions

- the boat will stay at the dock all summer. How easy is it get it repaired at the dock, without having to pull it out of the water?

- i am located an hour North of Montreal. Anyone knows mechanics or dealers competent with this kind of boat in my region?( I am taking a chance here...)

- how is the gas consumption on this boat? Compared to a similar size open deck outboard motor boat? Like Bayliners or Glastrons?

- does it burn a lot of oil? I don’t want go leave a smelly trail of oil fumes behind me....

- anything else i did not think of?

Thanks for your help!

I bought one used last April, a Utopia185, and love it. It is hard to find someone that will work on both the engine and the drive. I decided to do my own drive service this winter and that was pretty easy too. It’s not very smelly as a two stroke, you can smell it close behind but not back on a tow line wakeboarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back