Looking to buy a 2000 Sea-Doo GTX 800cc! Thoughts?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

muskokamarc

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a 2000, Sea-Doo GTX, 800cc that has 122 hours, for $3200 CAD, $3800 with trailer. Is this a decent deal?

I'm hoping to go take a look at it next weekend but don't really know what to look for in terms of what could be wrong with it. Can anyone provide some pointers? Would really appreciate it.

Thank you!

This is actually a 4 tec forum and better suited for the 2 stroke section. You would get more responses from the 2 stroke experts. However that is way overpriced for that ski. You could find around a 2003 4 tec GTX for that amount of money. There is not a 2 stroke in existence anymore I would pay $3200 for or $3800 for with a trailer.

Hi everyone,

I am looking to buy a 2000, Sea-Doo GTX, 800cc that has 122 hours, for $3200 CAD, $3800 with trailer. Is this a decent deal?

I'm hoping to go take a look at it next weekend but don't really know what to look for in terms of what could be wrong with it. Can anyone provide some pointers? Would really appreciate it.

Thank you!
Biggest thing I have learned is to never pay the full value of a jet ski as you'll never know the condition of the crank bearings unless you tear it all apart. What has worked best for most of people in this forum is buying a ski knowing that it has issues and throwing a new/remanufactured engine in there so that way you know everything is brand new, and you are at just about the same price as what you would've paid for a used ski.
Now I understand that isn't always possible for everyone since not everyone knows how to rebuild these OR they don't have a shop that can put a new motor into it. So you can test what is possible before you hand your money over.
First off, buy or rent a compression tester and make sure the compression is good and both cylinders have even compression.
Check for gray fuel lines, as those will need to be replaced since ethanol in our fuel deteriorates them and clogs your carburetor.
Check the color of the oil, seadoo synthetic oil is red and any other oil is not as good for these motors.
Take it on a water test and make sure it doesn't hesitate with the throttle or cut out at any times

Biggest thing I have learned is to never pay the full value of a jet ski as you'll never know the condition of the crank bearings unless you tear it all apart. What has worked best for most of people in this forum is buying a ski knowing that it has issues and throwing a new/remanufactured engine in there so that way you know everything is brand new, and you are at just about the same price as what you would've paid for a used ski.
Now I understand that isn't always possible for everyone since not everyone knows how to rebuild these OR they don't have a shop that can put a new motor into it. So you can test what is possible before you hand your money over.
First off, buy or rent a compression tester and make sure the compression is good and both cylinders have even compression.
Check for gray fuel lines, as those will need to be replaced since ethanol in our fuel deteriorates them and clogs your carburetor.
Check the color of the oil, seadoo synthetic oil is red and any other oil is not as good for these motors.
Take it on a water test and make sure it doesn't hesitate with the throttle or cut out at any times
Usually the 2000 GTX 800's were RFI's

This is actually a 4 tec forum and better suited for the 2 stroke section. You would get more responses from the 2 stroke experts. However that is way overpriced for that ski. You could find around a 2003 4 tec GTX for that amount of money. There is not a 2 stroke in existence anymore I would pay $3200 for or $3800 for with a trailer.

Thanks for your advice, I think I might pass on this one then.

Hey,

Yea I definitely don't want to have start rebuilding stuff, but I have a low budget, which obviously isn't ideal... I might pass on this one and see if I can find something a little newer.

Thanks for your input! Appreciated.

Usually the 2000 GTX 800's were RFI's

Hey Ravens, I found another PWC I'm considering. From what you guys said, I would be better off with a 4 tec. There is a 2005 Seadoo RXT 215HP supercharged seadoo. Complete with seadoo cover and 2005 trailer. Winterized and stored inside for winter. He's looking for $6000 but would take less. Has about 145 hours.

What do you think of this one? Anything I should look for in particular?

Thanks again.

Hey Ravens, I found another PWC I'm considering. From what you guys said, I would be better off with a 4 tec. There is a 2005 Seadoo RXT 215HP supercharged seadoo. Complete with seadoo cover and 2005 trailer. Winterized and stored inside for winter. He's looking for $6000 but would take less. Has about 145 hours.

What do you think of this one? Anything I should look for in particular?

I still think 6 is a little on the high end as well for that one. Curious as to where you live because this can matter as well. By me there is. A 2006 RXT with 101 hours water ready with trailer for $4000. Now this is on the low end for price. I would put average price at $5000 but I would still try lower to $4500 range. Let me know what area you are. I am good at finding deals. Always remember as well if you are not familiar with jet skis and a person says they run perfect tell them to prove it and meet you at the water for a test ride. I have never seen a person refuse this who had nothing to hide. But ask the person when was the supercharger rebuilt and other maintenance records. Look at condition of oil on dip stick. Check engine compression. Look at the condition of the inside of the hull. Is it dirty and greasy or clean. Look for corrosion on engine and other metal parts. For $6000 that ski should be mint. Clean hull. Nice shinny paint etc.

Thanks again.

He said Canadian money so figure the ski is much less in American Dollars. Closer to $2500 for the ski and $2900 with trailer. No comment on the ski being worth whatever. I prefer to buy stuff I know is broken so I can fix it right and I know what I have in the end. As mentioned, not everyone can do this or wishes to.

I’m located in Toronto. You’re talking Canadian dollars right?

He says the supercharger hasn’t had to be rebuilt as he too has asked the marina he has it winterized with about it and they said it’s fine. That’s a bit peculiar to me... maybe they want the engines to blow so they can drop a new engine in it?

I doubt we’ll be able to take this one out on the water, which I’m also not a fan of, but hopefully I can get a good look at the engine and stuff inside to see what kind of condition it’s in.

Honestly, if the supercharger needs a rebuild, I’d be ok with having it done, but I’d probably work him down on price because it’s going to be coming up very soon based on hours. What’s the going rate for a supercharger rebuild in Canadian $?

Appreciate your help Ravens!

I don't think the first ski is too out of line on price but that depends on condition as with everything. You are talking two entirely different animals. I'm a fan of the old two strokes because I can fix them easily and not too bad with an overload of electronics and expensive parts. If you are just a recreational rider and having fun, no reason not to look at the old two strokes. Personally I don't want anything with a supercharger. If you wanna go fast though... you gotta come up with the dough. LOL

I have 2 GTXs (1996 and a 1997) I freakin LOVE them. I'd expect to pay about $1800 for a really good GTX. The 2000 model may well be worth a little more. My area doesn't bring top prices for skis. The $2500 for the ski may be worth it. I'd try to get him down to at least $2000 American. Determine your mission, then look at skis. I find 50mph more than enough fun for me and I road race motorcycles. LOL I don't travel on the ski, I just ride out and back. Good Luck !!

I have 2 GTXs (1996 and a 1997) I freakin LOVE them. I'd expect to pay about $1800 for a really good GTX. I am primo... pretty, and in good shape. My area doesn't bring top prices for skis. The $2500 for the ski may be worth it. I'd try to get him down to at least $2000 American. That is still a little high but the ski may be in great shape.

Yeah, I’ve been thinking about the two stroke. The only thing is that I unfortunately have no knowledge on the machines. I have a neighbour who does, and he helps fix my current boat, but either way I’m going to be paying for maintenance.

What’s your opinion on that 2005 RXT? Was that a top of the line machine for it’s time? Is 145 hours a lot? If you could translate that for me to miles on car, it would help haha. I’m truly not sure about these things but appreciate your help!

I know nothing of 4 strokes. You say you are on a budget and you are looking at a machine that costs twice the price of a two stroke? And they won't let you ride it. The two stroke is pretty safe bet and if you do as "Chieflen" suggested you'll eliminate some of the risk. Also look at the SIZE of the skis. Some of those 4 strokes are pretty darn near the size of boats. LOL I don't like the big skis but I don't ride open water. Again.... determine your mission first.

The 2 stroke jet skis are a ton of fun, I've always loved the powerband that 2 strokes have and have always been a fan over 4 strokes. If you are on a budget the two strokes are the way to go. You will buy it for half the price of the 4-tecs and the repairs on them will be also half the price of the 4-tecs. The 2 strokes are very mechanical while the 4 strokes use much more electronics, so that means when anything fails, it's much more money. The WORST thing that happens to a two stroke is a blown motor which is not too expensive for a remanufactured motor in comparison to repairs on a 4-tec. I would highly suggest a 2 stroke if you are looking to start out and be on a low budget. They are much simpler machines. You will find less issues and how easily you can fix these issues if they come up.

I missed the Canadian money part. My prices were all based on US dollars.
I have owned at least 100 skis in my life. I buy them all the time. I actually look at Craigslist several times a day and when a deal pops up I am there getting it. Almost all skis I buy need something done to them and reason they are being sold cheap. I just bought a 2014 RXPX for $5000 that had 41 hours on it and looks great. Person sold because it was not starting. I spent $200 and it is on the water now. But I have also owned the older two strokes and the two do not compare. Once I got my first 4 Tec I never looked back. 4 Tec’s are more stable, quicker, comfortable, and reliable. It is also nice to no longer have to hunt down 2 stroke oil all the time (not to mention the added cost). Two strokes seem to always have some problem. 9 out of 10 times when I see someone broke down on the water they are on a 2 stroke. If a 4 Tec is within your budget I would go for it. Where I live (Maryland) that 2000 GTX would be a $1500 to $2000 ski (with trailer) depending on condition. If that ski is also an RFI model (Fuel injected) your looking at a whole new set of issues that can occur and when they go they are a pain to figure out. Most shops hate working on the DI and RFI models.
Everyone has different preferences. What it comes down to is your budget and what kind of riding are you looking to do to determine the right ski for you. Someone in this thread said their 50 mph ski was fine for them. For me personally never in a million years. The faster the better for me. Some people want a comfort ski for all day riding and others want a ski they can get crazy on jumping waves etc. What it comes down to is what kind of rider are you and what are you looking for in a ski.

Last edited:
I missed the Canadian money part. My prices were all based on US dollars.
I have owned at least 100 skis in my life. I buy them all the time. I actually look at Craigslist several times a day and when a deal pops up I am there getting it. Almost all skis I buy need something done to them and reason they are being sold cheap. I just bought a 2014 RXPX for $5000 that had 41 hours on it and looks great. Person sold because it was not starting. I spent $200 and it is on the water now. But I have also owned the older two strokes and the two do not compare. Once I got my first 4 Tec I never looked back. 4 Tec’s are more stable, quicker, comfortable, and reliable. It is also nice to no longer have to hunt down 2 stroke oil all the time (not to mention the added cost). Two strokes seem to always have some problem. 9 out of 10 times when I see someone broke down on the water they are on a 2 stroke. If a 4 Tec is within your budget I would go for it. Where I live (Maryland) that 2000 GTX would be a $1500 to $2000 ski (with trailer) depending on condition. If that ski is also an RFI model (Fuel injected) your looking at a whole new set of issues that can occur and when they go they are a pain to figure out. Most shops hate working on the DI and RFI models.
Everyone has different preferences. What it comes down to is your budget and what kind of riding are you looking to do to determine the right ski for you. Someone in this thread said their 50 mph ski was fine for them. For me personally never in a million years. The faster the better for me. Some people want a comfort ski for all day riding and others want a ski they can get crazy on jumping waves etc. What it comes down to is what kind of rider are you and what are you looking for in a ski.

I agree, I think I'm going to go for the 4 tec, 2005 RXT. If I convert the price he's asking for with the trailer to USD it's $4700. The only thing I'm concerned about is the supercharger going soon, and whether or not 145 hours is too much.

What's your opinion on the hours? I'm going to see it Wednesday night.

I agree, I think I'm going to go for the 4 tec, 2005 RXT. If I convert the price he's asking for with the trailer to USD it's $4700. The only thing I'm concerned about is the supercharger going soon, and whether or not 145 hours is too much.

What's your opinion on the hours? I'm going to see it Wednesday night.
Hours are average for a 2005. It is not always the hours but how it was maintained. I have seen 400 hour skis still running like new and 50 hour skis running like crap. It comes down to how the previous owner treated the ski.
A supercharger should be rebuilt ever 100 hours. The biggest question I would have is what clutch washers are on it now. In 2005 Sea Doo was using ceramic washers that were known to fail such as break apart in your engine. I would suspect it was rebuilt before because the original ceramic washers would not have lasted for the hours on this ski. At the hours you stated the supercharger should have been rebuilt at least once. Ask if they have receipts for rebuild or I would defiantly ask and if possible have them remove the supercharger to show you what clutch washers are on it now.
If anything go into it expecting to rebuild the supercharger.

That is a lot of money for a ski in my opinion. As far as the hours that's not that much for a 4 stroke that has been maintained but that one doesn't sound like it has since the supercharger has never been rebuilt. It will have to be done immediately as it is way past due. I know some of the early ones like that had bad valves too. You should ask the 4-stroke experts @Coastiejoe

The 2 stroke jet skis are a ton of fun, I've always loved the powerband that 2 strokes have and have always been a fan over 4 strokes. If you are on a budget the two strokes are the way to go. You will buy it for half the price of the 4-tecs and the repairs on them will be also half the price of the 4-tecs. The 2 strokes are very mechanical while the 4 strokes use much more electronics, so that means when anything fails, it's much more money. The WORST thing that happens to a two stroke is a blown motor which is not too expensive for a remanufactured motor in comparison to repairs on a 4-tec. I would highly suggest a 2 stroke if you are looking to start out and be on a low budget. They are much simpler machines. You will find less issues and how easily you can fix these issues if they come up.

I
Hours are average for a 2005. It is not always the hours but how it was maintained. I have seen 400 hour skis still running like new and 50 hour skis running like crap. It comes down to how the previous owner treated the ski.
A supercharger should be rebuilt ever 100 hours. The biggest question I would have is what clutch washers are on it now. In 2005 Sea Doo was using ceramic washers that were known to fail such as break apart in your engine. I would suspect it was rebuilt before because the original ceramic washers would not have lasted for the hours on this ski. At the hours you stated the supercharger should have been rebuilt at least once. Ask if they have receipts for rebuild or I would defiantly ask and if possible have them remove the supercharger to show you what clutch washers are on it now.
If anything go into it expecting to rebuild the supercharger.

He said the Marina he has it serviced at does not think a rebuild is necessary on the supercharger... So that has not been done. I'm going to definitely work him down in price based on that.

What would that supercharger rebuild cost me in USD?

Is there any way to check what kind of clutch washers are on it? He is the second owner and bought it from the same marina he services it at back in 07. Reason for selling is that they sold their cottage, which happens to be near mine.

I

He said the Marina he has it serviced at does not think a rebuild is necessary on the supercharger... So that has not been done. I'm going to definitely work him down in price based on that.

What would that supercharger rebuild cost me in USD?

Is there any way to check what kind of clutch washers are on it? He is the second owner and bought it from the same marina he services it at back in 07. Reason for selling is that they sold their cottage, which happens to be near mine.
You said the ski would be $4700 in US dollars. In short for that amount you should not have to put any money into it. You should be straight to the water having fun. You need to find out if that supercharger received its 100 hour service. But for a 2005 RXT with 145 hours for $4700 US dollars you should have zero repair bills right now. If you have to put money into it now pass.

You said the ski would be $4700 in US dollars. In short for that amount you should not have to put any money into it. You should be straight to the water having fun. You need to find out if that supercharger received its 100 hour service. But for a 2005 RXT with 145 hours for $4700 US dollars you should have zero repair bills right now. If you have to put money into it now pass.

So, I called the marina they service it at/purchased it from and one of the service persons is going to ring up the customers name and get all the work orders for me done to the machine so I can at least see if they're being honest about winterizing and if it's had any issues.

Also asked them about a supercharger rebuilt and they mentioned it would be around CAD $600-800.

So, I called the marina they service it at/purchased it from and one of the service persons is going to ring up the customers name and get all the work orders for me done to the machine so I can at least see if they're being honest about winterizing and if it's had any issues.

Also asked them about a supercharger rebuilt and they mentioned it would be around CAD $600-800.
How is it for you buying a ski on US side with bring it back and titling it? I did a search on your CL and surrounding areas and found a few good deals but most are on US side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back