Looking for UMI for X4

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

1FastR1

I'm looking for a complete UMI steering setup for my 98 SPX. Also finger throttle and VTS, I've had no luck so I'm posting here. Paypal ready thanks!

Just wait until fall/winter time, you're shopping in season. Check ebay, I see them all the time complete with bars and stuff.

If you are tired of replacing the VTS module you can rig up an HX type manual adjuster, you have to learn how to let go of throttle and quickly lay back on the seat to turn it a couple turns but it always works.

I bought a beat up UMI from a member and sent it to another member who is going to compare it with the R&D style and draw up something that utilizes the best parts of both. Then we will see how much they can be produced for. I get asked for X4 UMI a couple times a week (this time of year at least) and if we could come up with a new system for 500ish each then I will probably buy in. We'll see how it goes.

I bought a beat up UMI from a member and sent it to another member who is going to compare it with the R&D style and draw up something that utilizes the best parts of both. Then we will see how much they can be produced for. I get asked for X4 UMI a couple times a week (this time of year at least) and if we could come up with a new system for 500ish each then I will probably buy in. We'll see how it goes.

Hurry up Matt, I want one!

I would absolutely buy in to that.

The UMI I bought was in pretty terrible condition, would possibly be interested in replacing mine down the line. It seems every now and again this comes up and someone finds a way to produce it.....and it ends up not getting any traction. Hopefully this one does.

Matt as you know I tried to reproduce these and did it successfully but no one is willing to pay the price that it costs to make these. All the time into cad, fixtures and proto-type, it just cannot be done efficiently in such low quantities.

Attachments

• 100_4277.JPG
    100_4277.JPG
    705.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 100_4278.JPG
    100_4278.JPG
    712.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 100_4279.JPG
    100_4279.JPG
    569.7 KB · Views: 39
I believe I was in the $650 plus range but it's been a while since I put them on the back burner. No one was interested at that price so I stopped. I have HX units also at this same point.

I also had a machine shop reverse engineer everything and was ready to start production for under $500 and nobody was interested. Apparently, people would rather pay the same price for a beat up used one.

It's one of the great mysteries and will be part of X4 lore for centuries to come.

This is why I posted this, nobody responded, luckily I found one that's mint for $450 with vts, and finger throttle.

It does seem odd that people will drop $500 on a used one and pass up something new. I would take the new item any day over the used for equal money. Maybe it's because it's not engraved "UMI".

My guesses....

1. There usually isn't enough demand at one time to get enough pre-orders, so then.....
2. Nobody wants to cough up the cash up front to do a full run and then have to sit on them...but
3. A group should get together and split that cost, but nobody wants to do that either.
4. Those that make money off used parts don't want them reproduced because margins are lower unless they sell for way higher than the used price.

Matt as you know I tried to reproduce these and did it successfully but no one is willing to pay the price that it costs to make these. All the time into cad, fixtures and proto-type, it just cannot be done efficiently in such low quantities.
Where were you trying to sell them? That's likely your problem..

I never completed them 100% as no one was willing to bite so I stopped putting time into them. I don't even care to finish them now. I have to finish milling the steering arm bracket, mill the angle on the outside of the face plate, mill the cable clamp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back