Looking for Starter Jet Boat

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Christoey

Hello, I am new to jet boating. I have a family (2 boys 1 girl) and am interested in taking them out to our local lake to water ski and tube. After doing some research I have found a 1996 Sea Doo Challenger (14.5ft) with a Rotax 787 single engine in good condition for $2500.00 cash. I am planning on taking the boat for a test ride with the current owner this weekend but thought I would post this and try to get some opinions of this boat from members. One concern I have is power. Would this boat be grossly underpowered for me and my family. I realize I cant take everyone with me as the boat is not big enough, but will it be able to pull a skier and carry two adults? Lastly, are there major problems I should look for while testing the boat? Thanks for any help or opinions!

How old/big are your boys? Despite this being a starter, it may be worthwhile to try to edge up to a 16'+ craft with bigger engine (s) if you can afford to do so.

Others who know this craft will chime in, but in general, this will not only be tight for a family, but with 2 adults onboard and a skier, you'll be under powered IMO. It may only be able to pull a younger/smaller skier on two skiis.

It sounds pretty good, I paid $1,700 for mine, and then $1800 for a new rebuilt engine...

your getting a pretty good deal..

How fast should my boat go?

What is the difference in speed between a speedster and sportster? 95 or 96?

I read on here that its like 40 mph, to 45 to 48mph?, is this true? so we are basically talking about is like 5 to 10 miles per hour can somebody verify?

Thanks!

I think you are going to be a bit cramped. The boat is rated for 4 people, but 3 is about all you will fit comfortably. It really dependso n the size of your kids. I think you would be better in a bigger boat, but that is a decent deal if you just wanna get into it to see if you even like a jet boat.

Maybe you guys are right.. I did want to be able to put more people in my boat, my boys are 14 and 8 years old, and my other half weighs 110 pounds wet. My fat butt weighs 250 pounds, so.. im getting close to the limit here:
250 + 110 + 110 + 80 = 550 pounds.. slightly lower than the 650 pounds max.

I havent tried to go fast with the new engine yet (this time around), but here is a video of me and my girlfriend and a friend of mine that weighs 200 pounds (that is 250, 200, + 110, = 550.. hey thats the same!) lol:

this is at the colorado river:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAcUe8_WnGA

I think I was maybe going 38 miles per hour?. This time Im gonna buy a gps and see how fast I was going...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back