looking for someone local who can possibly help me with my 787

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nemrod811

well heres my story i have a 96 gsx that i had the crank replaced in with a used one cuz i let it sit with the nose down on the trailer for few years.i had a guy replace the crank last year with one he said was good out of a ski he had.now i didnt get to ride the ski after i got it back cuz my battery was no good and i was having issues with another ski at same time.so i automaitcally assumed the ski ran good cuz the guy said he rode it and it ran.well this year i got 2 new batterys but before i cranked the skis i tried to turn the pto by hand.well i could only turn it so far it was really hard so i pulled the plugs to relieve the compression well now i can turn the crank but theres a noise comin from the inside on the mag side it sounds like 2 gears moving together not really a grinding sound more like unlubed gears moving against each other.i went back to the guy he believes its a bad bearing.the ski fires up and all but i refuse to ride cuz id hate to make the problem worse,the guy offered to replace the crank but at a fee which i argued with him that i shouldnt have to pay.in the end he said hed do it free if i buy all new parts which is fine by me but i just really dont wanna have to deal with the person if i can help it.the whole process took too long and its a good drive from where i live.so if theres anyone out there in the college station,brenham and houston tx area preferably the west side but im willing to drive if need be.i live in hempstead if that helps anyone,all the shops around here are really busy so im hoping to i could get some help outside a shop.i would really like to learn how to do all this stuff myself im still a little intimidated and hate to screw things up.ive read alot of threads but still not confident enough

thx

Do you have the oil in your tank and going to the rotary valve on the engine? Can you hear the noise when its on? That's a lot of work to get in there and do that, maybe post a video of the noise you are hearing.

Do you have the oil in your tank and going to the rotary valve on the engine? Can you hear the noise when its on? That's a lot of work to get in there and do that, maybe post a video of the noise you are hearing.

He took the oil pump out and went premixed aswell so the 2 small lines are gone. I wanna say u can hear it while it's runnin not too sure. I'll make a video today after work.

ya well you still have to either leave the tank it and hooked to the bottom of the engine to get oil to the rotary valve or you can just loop a oil line in there to give it oil did he do that?

well i went to make the video and i turned the engine by hand oddly enough the noise wasnt ther anymore at all,i pulled the plugs on my other ski to compare the sounds of both and they sound exactly alike.im gna snap a few pics of the inside and let u guys see if u can tell if the lines your describing are there.i know for sure the lines that run to the carb area are gone as for the one under the engine ill have to check.correct me if im wrong but there should be a 3/8" hose running to the bottom of the engine correct?the oil tank is still in it wasnt removed and i believe i still have to pump around here somewhere.the other ski still has the pump but he still premixed the tank to be on the safe side considering the ski was sitting when i got it from previous owner

ya man that is right on the bypass of the oil tank, and ya it is going to be hard to turn the motor with the plugs in it cause it will cause pressure ya know, but i would take it to the lake and run it hard and just keep a eye on it if it keeps bogging or anything you can look into the carbs i had the same problem and just tore my carbs apart and they look fine,

ya man that is right on the bypass of the oil tank, and ya it is going to be hard to turn the motor with the plugs in it cause it will cause pressure ya know, but i would take it to the lake and run it hard and just keep a eye on it if it keeps bogging or anything you can look into the carbs i had the same problem and just tore my carbs apart and they look fine,

ok thx alot guys saved me from tearing it apart,also on the turnin the engine by hand deal i can turn the other ski by hand with the plugs in so is that not a good thing then?one thing i wonder still tho is what was causing the noise from the get go id hate for it to come back and haunt me while out on the water.any suggestions?

no i think you can still turn it with the plugs in it will just be a little harder with the plugs then without the plugs.

that hose that you have looped in there it is just filled with oil, that is one way to do it if you want to remove the oil tank, another way would be just leave those 2 hoses hooked to the oil tank and just delete the one that was going to the actual pump, either way is fine

that hose that you have looped in there it is just filled with oil, that is one way to do it if you want to remove the oil tank, another way would be just leave those 2 hoses hooked to the oil tank and just delete the one that was going to the actual pump, either way is fine

will i ever have to add oil to the lineor flush it with clean oil,i assumed goin premix took care of this but i guess not.

yes the way he has you set up you should drain all that oil out of those lines ever season and be sure and fill back up is what i have heard and been told i just left it hooked to the tank to provide more fresh oil, but really its all the same

ok sounds easy enough ill prolly go back to tank as soon as i figure out whr its hooked up to on the other end behind the jugs.i really would prefer to run oil pump i hear its more conservative on oil but not always reliable.

ya it will def be better on oil but i like premix its whatever floats your boat tho or pwc lol...... but ya the hose that is going right under the carbs is coming from under the oil tank and the one on the exhaust side goes to the top of the oil tank

ill have to take a look at the other ski and see what ur talkin about i though the hose on top went into the pump and then ran 2 smalls lines to carbs i havent seen the other hose u mentioned

well there is 3 lines coming out of the oil tank 2 from the bottom and one you have a filter on and is plugged up from your video, that was the one that went to the oil pump and had the 2 little hoses going to the carbs, then there is another that would be coming from the bottom and hook right under the carbs were that hose is hooked now, that is to get oil to the rotary valve, then the hose on the other side of the engine is the one that would have gone to the top of the oil tank and returned the oil, you might have to look at another ski or diagram, kinda hard to just explain it lol

im following u but ill leave it the way it is cuz i dnt see how i can even get back there to run a new line from the exhaust side

will do, gna try and make it out this weekend to the lake.theres a truck show out there this weekend so might not be a good idea ill have everyone and they momma askin to ride and i hate letting strangers use my skis.so i may hold off but ill post my results when i get back thx alot for ur help

ok so i finally made it out and rode the ski,came back with bad results.from the get go i noticed the engine shook alot more then the 97 i have but it still rode fine had lots of power actually felt stronger then the 97.well after few hours i notcied the ski felt heavy i couldnt pop the seat off cuz i had my kid onboard so i went back in took seat off and hull was taking water it was almost to the top of the battery so i pulled it out pulled plugs cranked on it to make sure it didnt take any water in carbs didnt see any come out at all.as i cranked it i noticed engine shook more so i looked around and all the bolts that hold the pipe down all came out,the nut on the exhaust manifold fell off too.i pulled on the motor and it feels somewhat lose i tried tightening the motor mount but seems its bottomed out.i know for sure thats why all the bolts came out just cant figure out where the vibration is coming from.i found where 3 of the 4 bolts go back but just cant find that one just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back