Looking for Hood/Lid sportster 1999

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rrebel

Hello everybody,

My name is Raymond and i am living in Aruba. This weekend ive bought a sportster 1999.

Boat need some work and i already orded set of upholstery at JetArmor. Also thinking about buying a hydro turf set later this year.

Now i also would like to replace the windshield/hood/lid. Do you know a place where they still have them?
Our do any of you have good suggestions how to repair it (fiber?)?

Hello everybody,

My name is Raymond and i am living in Aruba. This weekend ive bought a sportster 1999.

Boat need some work and i already orded set of upholstery at JetArmor. Also thinking about buying a hydro turf set later this year.

Now i also would like to replace the windshield/hood/lid. Do you know a place where they still have them?
Our do any of you have good suggestions how to repair it (fiber?)?

They don't make them anymore. I lucked out and found a new old stock one on eBay a few months ago. It wasn't cheap. You just have to keep your eye on eBay but new ones are very, very rare. You're better off looking for a used on that is in decent shape.

Here's a decent-looking used one:

Sea Doo sportster 1800 RH front storage hood cowl cover windshield wind screen | eBay

Thanks H€PHÆ$TU$,

This one look different from the one i have.

Is there a difference between the 1998 and 1999 version?

Thanks H€PHÆ$TU$,

This one look different from the one i have.

Is there a difference between the 1998 and 1999 version?

I believe that they updated them at some point and stopped making the old style because I've seen 98s with the new style as well. I used the new style on mine. Unfortunately the latch doesn't work anymore but I am working on modifying it so that it does.

This weekend i started to glue and bodyfill the existing one. I was super happy with the result. But filling up the inside with expansion foam was a bad idea.. yesterday the hood cracked again. See picture. Most likely because of the pressure from the foam. Iam thinking to put a sheet of fiberglass over it. And than body fill and spray it.

Anyone has some experience or tips?

Attachments

• B00DEC36-7298-44CC-A101-5DCF3D360A47.jpeg
    B00DEC36-7298-44CC-A101-5DCF3D360A47.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 16
  • BFFBF960-78E2-4A41-A3A3-AA2A4495ABFA.jpeg
    BFFBF960-78E2-4A41-A3A3-AA2A4495ABFA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 16
  • B90FBB6C-ACDE-4399-BF51-06E9E5A5D045.jpeg
    B90FBB6C-ACDE-4399-BF51-06E9E5A5D045.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
  • 8D720BD6-A96F-4EF5-A813-AD79FF83114A.jpeg
    8D720BD6-A96F-4EF5-A813-AD79FF83114A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 4E06A1BB-D0B6-4AE1-ACAE-AE4BA3E12DCF.jpeg
    4E06A1BB-D0B6-4AE1-ACAE-AE4BA3E12DCF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 15
I'm not a fiberglass / plastic expert. And I commend your desire / effort to repair your current piece. (I considered trying to repair mine, too.) But if yours is anything like mine was, the plastic is permanently UV damaged and brittle. I feel like you're trying to patch together a broken egg that will continue cracking. Also, if you compare what you have to the "new version," you will immediately realize that the new version is a superior material that is more plastic-y, more durable, and less glass-like than yours is. It would seem that Sea-Doo recognized the inferior material and upgraded at some point in the process. I'm sorry I don't have any better advice for you though.

If you do decide to continue working on it, and you fill it with foam again, I would drill a relief hole in the underside to allow the foam to expand out of rather than cracking it again.

Hi H€PHÆ$TU$, which "new version" are you referring to? I’ve check many pages and sites but wasn’t able to find a new or even a descent used one. That made me decide to fix it.

This weekend I completely wrapped it with layers of polyester and glass mats. I basically only used the original part like a mold. At this moment I am shaping it with body filler then spray it. Hopefully it will stays good this time.

Ill post some photos from the result.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    947 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    948 KB · Views: 5
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    757.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    681.2 KB · Views: 4
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 5
Hi H€PHÆ$TU$, which "new version" are you referring to?

I don't know for a fact that there was a "new version." It's just my suspicion that it was updated because I've seen some Sportster 1800's with the version that I have now instead of the version I used to have. (I used to have the same one you do. Now I have the one in the eBay listing that I linked.) I've also cross referenced the part number with some pictures on the internet and seen both versions with that same part number. This could also just be from bad listings of an old part though.

The eBay listing that I linked earlier was what I refer to as the "new version." So either that eBay listing is wrong or the owner of it did actually get it from a Sportster 1800 and he just happened to have the "new version." (Both are out of production / discontinued though.)

204620043 is the original part number for the windshield.

What I'm saying is that back in 1997 if you would have ordered that part number I suspect you would have received what you have now and what I used to have. But if you would have ordered that part in 1999 or 2000, toward the end of the Sportster 1800 production run, you likely would have received the version that I have now, or that is in that eBay listing.

They used what I am calling the new version on Challengers after the Sportster 1800's went out of production. It is my theory that they came up with a better material to make them out of sometime in the middle of the Sportster 1800 production run and redesigned for the Challengers based on the Sportster 1800's knowing that the 1800's were on their way out. So when they ran out of the old version, they just started putting the new version on until they stopped making the Sportster 1800's at which point the new version continued being used on Challengers until they changed the body style.

Last edited:
Okey, now i understand.

Because i live in Aruba ordering a 200 dollar part form ebay and ship it here + taxes would cost me around 350 usd.

So i am motivated to repair the one i have, let hope it will hold ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back