Looking for a Second Sea-Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

cartwright

Looking for a second ski to go along with my 98 GTX Ltd that I recently picked up and just got running late last year (carb rebuild, fuel line replacement etc)

I'm looking for something that stable in the water, room for 2 comfortably, to be used on local lakes and rivers mostly as a cruising craft with a bit of fun mixed in.
I've seen a 99 gtx 800 rfi advertised on a double trailer. Ski is not running, owner says he just hears a click when trying to start and installed a new starter solenoid which didn't help. He says his battery is also questionable. He says he is looking a selling for a little more than what the 2011 double trailer is worth.
I could go look at it with a charged battery and see if it will fires up or at least do a compression test. If it did start he would probably be looking for a higher price.

Looking for advice on how to proceed: buy as is as non running ski and know I might be putting a new motor in but hope for the best, or check compression and see if it does start with a good battery and pay more ?
I'm thinking this is probably a salt water used pwc

Why would you have to pay more after doing a compression test? I'd definitely check that regardless. I wouldn't think you would lose bargaining power because of that. Either he wants to sell it for what he said or he doesn't. Cash money in hand is powerful bargaining material. Good luck.

Why would you have to pay more after doing a compression test? I'd definitely check that regardless. I wouldn't think you would lose bargaining power because of that. Either he wants to sell it for what he said or he doesn't. Cash money in hand is powerful bargaining material. Good luck.
He said he was negotiable on the price, I haven't seen it yet to get an idea of the overall condition.
Yes, if it will turn over with a good battery and has good compression then that would be a good start.

Just don't try to jump it with a running vehicle. A separate battery is okay, but running vehicles have been known to fry the MPEMs. A click could indicate bad ground cables. It's a cheap and simple fix, and fairly simple to diagnose. Those RFI's had electric fuel pumps, which I would also check, as by now, they're almost old enough to buy beer.

Looking for a second ski to go along with my 98 GTX Ltd that I recently picked up and just got running late last year (carb rebuild, fuel line replacement etc)

I'm looking for something that stable in the water, room for 2 comfortably, to be used on local lakes and rivers mostly as a cruising craft with a bit of fun mixed in.
I've seen a 99 gtx 800 rfi advertised on a double trailer. Ski is not running, owner says he just hears a click when trying to start and installed a new starter solenoid which didn't help. He says his battery is also questionable. He says he is looking a selling for a little more than what the 2011 double trailer is worth.
I could go look at it with a charged battery and see if it will fires up or at least do a compression test. If it did start he would probably be looking for a higher price.

Looking for advice on how to proceed: buy as is as non running ski and know I might be putting a new motor in but hope for the best, or check compression and see if it does start with a good battery and pay more ?
I'm thinking this is probably a salt water used pwc
Just make sure the motor isn't siezed up, I bought a trailer with an old ski for a really good price. (I only got it for the price of the trailer, so I didn't look into the jet ski because it was so cheap for the package) but I was told that I needed a starter because it would just click. I ended up tearing apart the motor to find out that it's completely siezed up. So just make sure the crankshaft spins freely, which will make any build easier

I ended up tearing apart the motor to find out that it's completely siezed up. So just make sure the crankshaft spins freely, which will make any build easier
That would be my concern as well. "Only needs starter" sounds too good to be true.

When someone tells me they are negotiable on price, I never expect that price to go up after testing a couple things. Negotiable, to me, sounds like they want it gone...at least that's how I take it. You don't really know til you get there. Good luck.

I ended up tearing apart the motor to find out that it's completely siezed up. So just make sure the crankshaft spins freely, which will make any build easier
That would be my concern as well. "Only needs starter" sounds too good to be true.

When someone tells me they are negotiable on price, I never expect that price to go up after testing a couple things. Negotiable, to me, sounds like they want it gone...at least that's how I take it. You don't really know til you get there. Good luck.
contacted seller today, it's been sold, will keep looking, thanks for all the help and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back