Looking at 2008 RXT 215 for adventure travel - opinions needed

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrochester

Looking at 2008 RXT 215 locally, 60 hours. Asking price: $7600 firm. What is the current thinking around the reliability of this engine? I'm a little nervous about buying a used 4-stroke supercharged fuel injected engine with no warranty from a private owner because there's no way I could ever fix it myself and the large cost involved if there was an engine problem. I'm used to 2-stroke seadoo's - I have a 95 XP 720 which is obviously a lot simple (and has been stone cold reliable). I would never buy anything without water testing it first, but who knows how it was treated by the previous owner.

I love the looks of the RXP. I like the size of it, the fact that my girlfriend and I could swim off of it, but the main reason I want it is for adventure travel - exploring new areas and taking long rides in the 50 to 100 mile range, possibly some overnighters. This larger ski would give us the room, comfort and stowing ability to do what we want. But obviously reliability is a major factor I need to consider when operating on Lake Ontario. The main reason I want a four stroke is that we may need to cruise at idle speed for extended periods when we go through canals with 7 mph speed limits and I don't want to smell 2-smoke and foul plugs. The XP is a great ski, but riding two-up for extended periods is out of the question.

I don't necessarily need this much power, although it would be fun. Are there any other Seadoo's in the lineup that would give me the comfort and cruisability I'm looking for with less power and potentially more reliability. Sorry for the long post and THANK YOU in advance for any advice you could provide.

I purchased a 155hp Seadoo and think it has plenty of power although I have no comparison. You will probably end up spending money here and there on it and some say the 4TECs only get about 200 hours although I am skeptical of that.

The supercharger I have read needs to be rebuilt every 200 hours or so. If you can test ride it you should check it out. I bet that much power is pretty exhilarating and you have a comparison basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back