Look before you leap!!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LouDoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
I had decided about a month ago that I need to replace the welch plugs on the exhaust pipe on my 96GSX. You may ask how did I determine this? Well I felt under the pipe and the lower welch plug felt rough. So Saturday after winterizing the ski I removed the pipe, and guess what? The repair had already been done! Not the neatest job but it wasn't leaking and showed no signs of leaking. So I wasted two hours removing the pipe, scraping off the old RTV applying new RTV and re-installing the pipe.

What I'm kicking myself about is I had the tools to determine the repair had been done, probably just a mirror was all that was needed, but I also have a bore scope. Oh well live and learn.

Lou

Well you're not the only one in that rodeo lou..
Freaking dental kit mirrors on a stick make the world of difference...

Well it's good to know I'm not alone. I also lost a 13mm deep well socket and 3 washers in the hull. I should be able to retrieve the socket with a magnet, the washers will slide out the back eventually.

Lou

My Son turned one of our Ski's seat side down in Lake Erie this summer. I found a battery bolt and nut, a 10mm socket, air box bolt and 2 hose clamps in the back bilge. After I drained it.

I cant tell you guys how man free tools ive gotten throughout the years. I buy a ski, ride it around, and out rolls a socket or some screw driver. Ive also probably given a few away from the same scenario.

lol, glad to know i'm not the only one losing stuff inside skis, i always wonder, where could it possibly go!!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

Been there so many times as well :p
Or better yet. Maybe its this part that's bad. No that one ....
Turbo_facepalm_by_specialvore-d69viv5.jpg

But seriously though for things under the engine I found gluing a Rare earth magnet to the hull right in the middle just forward of the PTO usually catches most tools and keeps them in reach.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's not a bad idea.

my latest ski purchase came missing about 200 bolts/nuts/washers. whoever worked on this had the IQ of a goat.

I had decided about a month ago that I need to replace the welch plugs on the exhaust pipe on my 96GSX. You may ask how did I determine this? Well I felt under the pipe and the lower welch plug felt rough. So Saturday after winterizing the ski I removed the pipe, and guess what? The repair had already been done! Not the neatest job but it wasn't leaking and showed no signs of leaking. So I wasted two hours removing the pipe, scraping off the old RTV applying new RTV and re-installing the pipe.

What I'm kicking myself about is I had the tools to determine the repair had been done, probably just a mirror was all that was needed, but I also have a bore scope. Oh well live and learn.

Lou

Did you at least file the rough part smooth before you put it back? LoL

Lou,
Welcome to my world. :) I was beginning to think I was the only one in it. Nice to know the human factor is not lost.

The Gtx I purchased has a full set of snap-on hose pinch off pliers in the hull still connected to various hoses.

Wow!!! And I initially thought this was a screw-up by me where I possibly could have passed it off as my technique for recovering goodies that walked under the engine ... after this incident I did not check to see if I shook anything free ... gotta go check.

Attachments

• 90SP-CartFall1a.jpg
    90SP-CartFall1a.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 19
Well I was able to retrieve my 13mm deep well, I used the bore-scope and snagged it with a magnet, the ss washers no big deal, they should slide out next summer. If anyone is interested a 1/2" will work for a 13mm, but not the other way around.

Lou

You really don't want to do that. Use a 1/2 inch on a 13mm May work on a stainless fastner on a Ski. But anywhere else rounding off the flats can make your day! I work on snow plow trucks at times. It's a constant fight to break loose bolts and nuts. I always use the correct size. I even buy off sizes when I see them. I have 4mm 5.5mm 6.5mm 7.5mm 9mm 11mm 16mm 18mm 20mm 21mm 22mm 24mm. They think if we don't have the correct size it goes to the dealership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back