Long beep and Check Engine

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

branscool

I have been searching but cant find anything so hopefully someone can help. I have an 04 sportster 4-tec non supercharged. Took it out for the first time this season and it runs fine. However after ive been driving for awhile it will randomly give me a loud continuous beep and the check engine light comes on. One time it did it, the motor seemed to shut down, however i just unplug the DESS and plug it back in and it starts right back up and runs great. Then it wont do it again for maybe 10 or 15 minutes and sometimes it did it after 2 or 3 minutes. If anyone has any insight i would greatly appreciate it!

As a first step, check the engine oil level. It should be right in between the two bends on the dip stick. If the oil level is too high, it can create high engine oil pressure and trip off sensors that would cause a check engine light.

If it is too high, suck some out and do a water test. If this is not the issue we'll try to dig deeper...

Low fuel will cause long beep and decreased engine performance as the computer is trying to reserve fuel.

As mentioned above, check your oil level. Too much oil is an issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
The shop manual says a continuous beep is either:
• High engine coolant temperature.
• High exhaust temperature.

I checked the Oil and it seemed a little high. I changed it for the first time a few months ago and might have overfilled it. I pumped some out and am headed back out today to see what it is. It also has the same fuel in it that i stored it with last year so i kind of thought it might be bad gas also, but im leaning towards to much oil. Ill post back after i take it out this afternoon. Thanks for the help!

The shop manual says a continuous beep is either:
• High engine coolant temperature.
• High exhaust temperature.

The temp light does not come on so i didnt think it would be hot, but will that light trip on either of those?

Well it ran for most the day fine and then right towards the end of the day it did it about 3 times in 15 minutes. I checked my oil again and it is at the top of the two bends. I think it may still be a little full so im going to pump a little more out and put some fresh gas in it now that i have gotten rid of most the old gas.

Hi, I had an equal problem during the last year. Every time when I started the engine and increased the RPM’s I got a long beep with the “check engine” light. I found in a couple of 4-tec related threads that the older 4-tec’s still have sometime the old oil pressure sensors installed. They are known to fail over the time. I changed mine in this year and the problem was solved. Actually there are two sensors installed but my not working one was the sensor nearby the oil filter. Easy job, just 5 minutes work.

Hi, I had an equal problem during the last year. Every time when I started the engine and increased the RPM’s I got a long beep with the “check engine” light. I found in a couple of 4-tec related threads that the older 4-tec’s still have sometime the old oil pressure sensors installed. They are known to fail over the time. I changed mine in this year and the problem was solved. Actually there are two sensors installed but my not working one was the sensor nearby the oil filter. Easy job, just 5 minutes work.

I pumped a little more oil out, and will have to wait a week or so to check it because i dont have time to get out on the water again just yet, but if it doesnt do any better i will look into the sensor. I appreciate the help!

Yep, that is the route I would go. If you are still getting a chk engine light during your next test then it is most likely a bad oil pressure sensors as others have mentioned. I have heard of them going bad before from other forum members, and I do not think they are very expensive so you may just want to replace both of them to cover all bases.

There may be a method to test the sensors to determine if one is not working properly, but you would have to consult the shop manual for that. Good luck with everything and be sure to post back and let us know how it all ends up.

Well i pumped down to the proper oil level and didnt have any problems for awhile. I had been out a few times but only drove short distances and parked it then after probably 20 minutes of driving it the other day just cruising around it started again. It seems to do it when the engine has been running for awhile and i guess when it gets to the proper temp or maybe even hot. Theres no temp light coming on, so im wondering if its either the sensor, or if it might be building to much oil pressure. Im going to order in some sensors just to be safe and swap them out.

I am having a similar issue as well with an 06 Utopia (not supercharged). The only difference with mine is that the beep occurs and there are NO warning lights illuminated. If you keep running, the starboard engine will shut itself off.

Hey guys I'm having the same problem but when I'm just idling in a no wake zone then go to punch it I'm Getting the alarm. Only thing to do is turn the engine off then put the key on and away I got with no problems.....whAt does this long beep mean? No lights are coming on. Please help!

Had the exact same issue- first I changed both the oil pressure sensors bc that seems to be the most common problem and that didn't help. The problem would only happen after a hr of riding and then the beep and light would come on every 15 mins. It got worse and worse every time I went out to test it. Pretty soon it would beep and pop the light every 5 mins. While checking stuff on the trailer with the boat in the water I shut the engine off but hear a loud hiss sound coming from the valve cover. I removed the oil fill cap and heard pressure escaping. After much research I found the TOPS valve not re-opening all the time which was causing high air pressure in the valve cover. After bypassing the TOPS valve after a lot of searching it has worked great ever since. Here is the link after I discovered the TOPS valve was bad. Hope it helps! http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?70280-Pressure-Behind-Oil-Cap-Oil-Leak

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back