Locked up Drive Shaft in PTO

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mfoley

The driveshaft in my 2004 GTX 4-Tec Supercharged is locked into the PTO / output sleeve. The circlip is off, the ball bearing and support ring are loose. I should be able to pull the driveshaft easily out the back of the ski but I can't. I cut out the rubber bellows so I could see what was going on and the drive shaft is only being held up on the PTO nothing else. Any ideas would be helpful.

Also the last time I removed the drive shaft the driveshaft plug (the rubber bit on the end that is inserted into the PTO) was completely destroyed and was ground into the splines. After running for a few hours I had water entering the ski. I am sure that was from the bellows not having the proper preload/compression. Is it possible that there is a problem with the PTO and the driveshaft slips forward after eating the driveshaft plug thus causing me to loose the preload on the bellows which causes water to enter the hull? And if the PTO is the problem how hard of a fix is this or should I just have a Seadoo tech look at it and call it a day.

Have you tried a penetrating lubricant like Kroil or PB blaster? If not, spray some into the splines of the driveshaft where it is inserted into the crank. Let is sit overnight. Let's hope the splines on the driveshaft aren't damaged.

Perhaps someone who's seen this problem before will chime in.

Have you tried a penetrating lubricant like Kroil or PB blaster? If not, spray some into the splines of the driveshaft where it is inserted into the crank. Let is sit overnight. Let's hope the splines on the driveshaft aren't damaged.

Perhaps someone who's seen this problem before will chime in.

I used the Seadoo branded version of the penetrating lube still no luck.

If the splines are damaged it could be on there as strong as if you welded it. Wiggling from side to side might help but of course even with the pump off and the carbon ring off, there isn't much side to side available. Try lightly tapping it in, if it will go in even 1/8" then you can use its own weight as a hammer by pulling that 1/8" reward rapidly..

Okay, I have gotten some movement out of the drive shaft and a few things to note. One the shaft will move in and out about 2 centimeters then get stuck. When the shaft is stuck / pulled out the side to side and up and down movement is severely limited although while the shaft is pushed in it moves more freely in all directions. Also when you push in on the shaft you can hear a clank, like metal striking metal. I believe I put the bumper plug on the end of the drive shaft but I am worried that the plug has disintegrated again and the pieces now lodged into the splines again. Although last time the plug disintegrated the shaft was not stuck at all.

Would it be wise to try and use a come-a-long or ratchet to try and forcefully pull it out?

I wouldn't use a chain hoist type affair. They're capable of serious force and unless you can be 100% sure you're not applying any side load _at all_ you risk bending the very end of the shaft or destroying the PTO. Maybe just a tight ratchet strap to put significant tension on it then wiggle around in circles to see if it will come. When time to go back in I highly suggest getting a Seadoo shop to verify motor alignment, if you're out of align it will wear the splines and burr them causing this issue.

You might have to get a crankshaft locking tool from the dealer and then turn the whole shaft counterclockwise and hope the crankshaft (PTO) adapter comes out, it takes around 180 ft/lbs to install it so I imagine its tight to remove. You could probably grab it with a pipe wrench and a snipe if you support it properly, your'e going to lose the shaft anyways. #3 piston (front of the engine) at TDC and there is a plug near the oil filter you remove and stick the locking tool in to secure the crankshaft. If you do break it loose then you will have to break the Odiker clamps on the rubber seal assembly and that would then come out with the whole assembly. You would also need an adapter installation tool afterwards, an impeller tool should have the same splines. The PTO is damaged beyond being used again so try to get it out without going up and down etc. and accidentally breaking it inside the engine, because if you don't get it out now you will have to remove the engine and tear it down to get it fixed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back