Limp mode

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a seadoo challenger 2000 with a 240hp merc M2 jet drive and Im having some trouble with it going into limp mode. Won’t go over approx 1200 rpm

if I launch the boat, start it up and cruise non stop it runs perfect. If I turn the motor off then start it again it goes into limp mode until the boat is taken out of the water for a few minutes. It will run fine if relaunched.

I should also mention that the previous owner installed a toggle switch by the throttle because there was an issue with the factory throttle. He said to move the switch forward or into reverse as needed. When the fault happens, I’ve tried moving that switch/restarting the motor and it does nothing
any Help would be appreciated

Last edited:
What year is your engine? Is the flywheel cover round or square-ish?

What is your switch supposed to do?
What / Where is it wired into?

Is there a good flow of water out of the pee hole on the stern? Is it warm or boiling?

What year is your engine? Is the flywheel cover round or square-ish?

What is your switch supposed to do?
What / Where is it wired into?

Is there a good flow of water out of the pee hole on the stern? Is it warm or boiling?

It’s a 2002 with a round flywheel cover

the previous owner installed the switch and said that the sensor/switch in the shifter wasn’t working. He was cheap and didn’t want to fix it so he put a cheap toggle switch instead.
Is the RPM limited if it thinks it’s in neutral still? I’m new to jet boats.

I’ll try to chase the wires and see exactly where they go.

is there a scan tool that scan be used to look for fault codes?

It sounds like the switch is to by-pass the factory switch in the shifter that provides safe-start in neutral only. Shifter should only allow engine to start when in neutral. If that switch allows engine to start in gear, someone can get hurt because at that point, the engine can start at full throttle.

Yes, there is a scan tool, but they are rare and expensive. I believe dealers ditched all their old scanners. Even if you find one, it may not be complete. Try ebay. There is also a brand called Rinda that can scan Mercs with the right cables. Not as universal as auto OBD II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back