Lifting boat on trailer to replace Bunk swivel brackets ????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
96 Challenger (14') - need to replace rusted bunk brackets - what is the best way to lift the boat a few inches off the bunk and where is a good place to get the replacement hardware to remount to trailer.

I would just take everything I needed to the water with me and cordless tools. Build and attach hardware to bunks and have them carpeted and ready to go. Launch boat and tie it up then work on trailer in the parking lot. Take a small generator if necessary for corded tools. I needed to grind off the old bolts on my swivel brackets but you may be able to hit them with some pb blaster and break them loose before you head out.

Going to the water can be a pain... but it's good advice if you are close.

But... you are in luck. The 14' boats aren't very heavy, and the center of gravity is just about at the rear seat back. AND... The best part of all.... there is a nice flat strip down the bottom !!!!!!

So.... if you have a pair of bottle jacks, floor jacks... or better yet... motorcycle jacks... you can simply lift it off the trailer, and do the work needed in the comfort of your driveway. If you use bottle, or floor jacks... put a hunk of wood under them so you don't gouge the hull. Also, if you use bottle jacks... make sure you have the slip on adapters so you aren't lifting with a single 1" post. (that won't be stable)

Needless to say... if you do it... you need to start level, and you need to keep drunk buddies away from it. (don't want it getting knocked over) But... the flat is about 8" wide... so it's really very stable.

I had to get the trailer out from under mine because the title was screwed up... and I had to take it in to be weighed.

42.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks sounds good - by the way, I like the cover, who makes it and where can it be bought????

Going to the water can be a pain... but it's good advice if you are close.

But... you are in luck. The 14' boats aren't very heavy, and the center of gravity is just about at the rear seat back. AND... The best part of all.... there is a nice flat strip down the bottom !!!!!!

So.... if you have a pair of bottle jacks, floor jacks... or better yet... motorcycle jacks... you can simply lift it off the trailer, and do the work needed in the comfort of your driveway. If you use bottle, or floor jacks... put a hunk of wood under them so you don't gouge the hull. Also, if you use bottle jacks... make sure you have the slip on adapters so you aren't lifting with a single 1" post. (that won't be stable)

Needless to say... if you do it... you need to start level, and you need to keep drunk buddies away from it. (don't want it getting knocked over) But... the flat is about 8" wide... so it's really very stable.

I had to get the trailer out from under mine because the title was screwed up... and I had to take it in to be weighed.

42.jpg

cover looks like it could be from Poppy, they make top quality stuff and all come with the vacu-hold ports that suck the cover down on the boat so it doesn't flap going down the highway.

as far as getting hardware just go to you local home depot/lowes (home repair sore) and get the length of pressure treated wood you need and some indoor/outdoor carpeting and then just cut to size and cover the boards. full project should be less then $20:thumbsup:

Great thread, just thought I'd throw my photo in here, one of my bunks was rotted out and almost broken in two.

I didn't have those nice motorcycle jacks, but did have a good dirt bike stand handy.

I also used a couple of 4x4s to support the outsides so I wouldn't have to worry about it tipping.

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 72
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back