Liability for Friends driving your Sea Doo

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hickory-Cut

I've read various posts (here and other places) about a nebulous 'liability' if you let someone ride your jet ski, but I've near heard of anyone actually being sued for an accident caused by someone else. Not saying it's never happen, just saying I've never heard of it.

Does anyone have a concrete example of the owner's liability when someone else is riding? I mean, an actual example of a owner being sued for something someone else did on their ski. Not looking for theories or discussions on case law - actual examples.

This may not be the answer you're looking for but in my case, my insurance - which includes liability - covers me if I have an approved rider on the machine (no rental situation of course).

So friends or family can ride etc.

I did know one one family who rented a seadoo, gave it to their younger kid who ran into a boat and caused about $3000 damage. Not sure who paid up but I would imagine it was the renters.

Unfortunately today anyone can sue anyone for anything.

On the RZR forum there is a guy dealing with this very issue. He bought his nephew a new RZR 170 and the parents never transferred title. So Jr. takes his friend for a ride and got hurt when they crashed it. Now the neighbor kid’s parents are suing the uncle because it’s still in his name.

So much for being the cool uncle.

Unfortunately today anyone can sue anyone for anything.

On the RZR forum there is a guy dealing with this very issue. He bought his nephew a new RZR 170 and the parents never transferred title. So Jr. takes his friend for a ride and got hurt when they crashed it. Now the neighbor kid’s parents are suing the uncle because it’s still in his name.

So much for being the cool uncle.

...and personal responsibility takes a hike, again.

“Mind the Gap”

Our family has been PWC useres for 20 + years....... What we had success with was taking prospective users on rides, with lanyard attached to the experienced rider in back. Coaching them while explaining the importance of your head being on a swivel , not everyone knows boating rules. After they demonstrate the ability to command it correctly then they can solo. We have numerous folks over the years ride, successfully so far :)

i work in the insurance industry, i've seen tons of cases where a carrier pays out for something a guest/friend did. it's not necessarily the bulk of the lawsuit, but you can be found liable for allowing an unskilled/qualified person to operate your craft. even if they ARE skilled/qualified, it's your craft, your responsibilitly.

this is the same reason most guys strip their registration numbers or plates before they sell a ski or other toy, they don't want you doing something while it's still in their name and them be on the hook for any of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back