Let's talk safety

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jforest

I was thinking today that I have not come across a thread that was dedicated to safety while riding out on the water. I know you can take the Boater's Safety Course but not everyone has. There have been a lot of threads with new Seadoo owners. I wanted to start a thread that suggests safety devices to have on board and overall safety while riding. I feel like this would be good for the newer riders to come across. Even though I've completed the safety course and have owned other boats, I personally only have 1 season riding PWCs so I do not have the experiences like some people on the forum. Please chime in on suggestions you might have for newer, less experienced riders.

There is always an inherent risk of riding/driving anything with horsepower but keeping safety on everyone's mind is important.

In Canada, the safety and operating course is mandatory although the course doesn't dig very deep. But you learn the basics. For those in Canada, the course is available on line. And on my lake, they check once in a while (RCMP or SQ in Quebec and Security corps).

The biggest issues I see with skis are these turbo ones that literally fly at 70 mph. I tried one a few weeks ago and at 65 mph and it scared me! My friend's son (aged 23) tried to do a stunt last weekend and he almost hit his dad's pontoon.

Benji.

In Canada, the safety and operating course is mandatory although the course doesn't dig very deep. But you learn the basics. For those in Canada, the course is available on line. And on my lake, they check once in a while (RCMP or SQ in Quebec and Security corps).

The biggest issues I see with skis are these turbo ones that literally fly at 70 mph. I tried one a few weeks ago and at 65 mph and it scared me! My friend's son (aged 23) tried to do a stunt last weekend and he almost hit his dad's pontoon.

Benji.

70 mph is crawling these days. Come down to NC and I'll put you on a 90mph 450 horsepower FZR. :cheers:

I thought there was a speed limitation put in place by the USCG like 70 mph? Although my friend cranked his to 77 mph last week...

Benji

One thing that I've been seeing a lot that I'm sure people don't know about is that if you're going to fall off the jet ski, make sure to let go of the handle bars.

safety tip, always be aware of your surroundings while riding, especially if you are going to do 180's/360's! and not to splash people near the shore ,doc or another vessel. ride with common sense.
years ago I had a couple close mishaps from horsing around and that taught me real fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back