Lean or rich???

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Codylee

Hey y'all I just did a top end rebuilt on twin 720's in a sportster 1800. Comp is at 145. I went through the carbs while I was in there. Now I'm in the break in process and I'm having some carb issues. First I'm having to choke the motors when warm to get them running. Which makes me think I'm running lean a bit? I checked pop off pressure and it was right on spec. High speed screw is 0 low speed is about 1 1/4. I didn't do a plug chop just pulled them after about a hour of idle and on off 3/4 throttle. The plugs are wet but no real color on the base ring of the plug but the electrode thing looks a little lean doesn't it?

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

do you need choke when cold too? if you're having to choke when hot, i'd imagine its pretty cold natured if its set up that lean.

Its hard to tell from just looking at plugs for two reasons, you're probably running extra oil for break in, and you really need to do a plug chop to be sure.

are these single carb 717s? do the motors hesitate off idle?

Yes it has to be choked when cold as well. And one of the engines does have a bog right off idle to about 1/2 if I ease into it but if I just floor it you almost cant feel it bog at all. The other engine runs great except for the choking to start when warm or cold. Everything is stock and it does have the singles with accelerator pumps

And if I choke it during the bog it'll die which means it's rich right? What's weird is when I got it home I revved them up and the both stuck at high rpm which confuses me because I figured I was running rich... Could they stick if my idle stop screw is holding the throttle plates to much open and maybe my low speed screw is too far out causing it to run rich?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back