Lake Permits and Proving Your HP

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CipoWins42

One of my local lakes has a HP limit of 190. I just bought a 150 Speedster, 155HP. The decals on the boat says 155HP, but you can buy decals that say whatever you want.

I was almost turned down for a permit at my closest lake, but luckily the guy took my word for it.

I'm now concerned about future problems with this same issue.
I can't find anything in my documents nor on the engine, etc., except for those decals that says 155HP.

Any ideas?

Hi Cipo. In the circumstances I can't see how the authorities could prove your boat was NOT 155hp.

Dave

OK... I need to put my flame retardant suit on for this statment.... But here it goes...

I have found most people of authority take tier power too far, and try to impose their own interpretation of the law. Most of the time they are wrong, and need to pull their head out of their @$$. (Hope I didn't offend any officers on this board)

In reality, it would be up to them to prove your claim was wrong. And until they could prove you wrong, they would have to issue the permit. In the case of your boat... all they would have to do is look at seadoo's web site for the answer.

If you are truly worried about it... print the spec page from Seadoo, laminate it, and leave it in the boat.

The officer was VERY nice. He printed the information from some site they use that told him there was a 155HP and 255HP version. I pointed out that the 255HP version was supercharged and with the cover off pointed out there wasn't a SC under the hood.

I can't hold it against the ranger. He has a job approving the boats on the lake he is paid to protect. If he allows a boat that doesn't meet their rules and an incident happens, everyone involved will sue, and put all the blame on him.

I just thought there would be more than a decal or a printout from the web that would verify the HP.

I did print the spec sheet, laminated it and will keep it in the boat, just in case.

Thanks for your input guys!

The hull number should equate to the OEM HP, of course many make mods but I think to go past 200 takes 2 seadoo power plants, then steroids do the rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back