Just bought a 2000 Challenger 2000. Should I keep it? Want advice on the boat.

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Before I begin I do work on Sea Doo's but I am use to the 2 stroke and 4 tec engines. Not the Merc engine.
I bought a 1997 Challenger 1800 that is my winter project. The interior was just destroyed in the 97 so bad that it is really not even salvageable. Even all the padding is just destroyed and worn down to the plastic frame.
I bought this 2000 Challenger mainly for interior. It is a complete boat. Would be a nice boat with a good cleaning. The vinyl on the interior is dry rotted but padding is good. I was going to do new vinyls anyways since I am doing custom colors on the other boat.

My friend thinks I should keep this one instead of the 97. Problem for me is I can work on the 97 with my eyes closed and I see parts are a lot cheaper for repairs. Wanted to get some advice and hear from others who have boats with the merc efi M2 engine. I personally prefer to part the boat out just keeping the interior but I do like the extra room up front on the boat. How reliable are the Merc engines?

I've worked on both motors and the Mercs are more reliable and tend to last longer, hat being said if something does break it is a bit more expensive, but it is only one motor vs fixing two motors ... I've got over 300 hours on my Merc and runs strong, however I've had to do all repairs myself that would have prob cost a fortune if it was taken to a mechanic(if you can find a mechanic hat works on these boats good luck!)

I have a 2000 challenger 2000. the boat has been great. there is only one guy in my area that will work on it. I am sort of wishing I had stuck to the 100% seadoo boats. I am hoping I don't get into trouble with it cuz no one else will work on them. I had a really good seadoo mechanic. but hey your area may be different

" a bit more expensive". you can say that again. I bought an 01 Challenger with a 240 in it and seized the motor on my third time out. As observed by others, this is much less of a DIY project then a 787 rebuild. Best price I found for a reputable rebuild with labor was $6,600. Which, ironically, is $100 more than I paid for the whole boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back