RESTO Just bought 2 01 RX DI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdblack1

Hey everyone. First post!

Just wanted to start a post and share my story. Last year I bought an older Polaris ski (00 Virage) for cheap $800. It was thought to be locked up engine but in fact only pump bearing seized so after $100 worth of parts and tune up I have a great ski.

This got me interested in skis and I was looking for a winter project….. and now I have 2…..

I just purchased 2 RX DI skis for $800 that were running but then got parked 5 years ago. No trailer so I loaded them up and headed home. I’ve been reading the site and plan to PB blaster the cylinders, drain fluids, and flush the coolant. I’ll keep this thread updated on how it goes.

Attachments

• 7E2DB1DF-ADB1-42CC-9977-2DB80711FBDE.jpeg
    7E2DB1DF-ADB1-42CC-9977-2DB80711FBDE.jpeg
    549 KB · Views: 24
  • 9D2E2E17-CE35-4A20-BA7F-12AB2049BC49.jpeg
    9D2E2E17-CE35-4A20-BA7F-12AB2049BC49.jpeg
    422 KB · Views: 22
Fogging oil or some 2-stroke oil would be better than PB blaster.

There are no fluids other than fuel and 2-stroke oil and there is no coolant?

If you don't know those two things you are going to have a lot of learning to do on a DI ski.....

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m going for the PB blaster cause I’m worried things may be a little locked up. Fogging oil is great to use before storage but after 5 years sitting with no prep I’m expecting the worst and hoping for the best.

Well I said drain fluids and that would be
1 gas
2 oil

That makes fluid(s) :)

And yes you are right I do have a lot to learn about the DI

PB blaster isn’t going to provide any lubrication if it’s good to go.

If there’s rust then it’s no good anyway so again no reason for PB blaster.

Trust me fogging oil or 2 stroke oil is going to be better.

I’m not just bs’ing you, I want you to get these fixed and running if possible.

If it has the correct API-TC full synthetic that should be gold or red in color there’s no reason to drain it as it doesn’t go bad, just install a new inline white filter and replace the small 3/32” lines from the pump to the intake manifolds.

I think I am the only nut case in my area that messes with DI engines. Good Luck !!

So what’s the real consensus on counterbalance oil check? The manual calls for it and I’ve read for an hour and still don’t know what to do.

PB blaster isn’t going to provide any lubrication if it’s good to go.

If there’s rust then it’s no good anyway so again no reason for PB blaster.

Trust me fogging oil or 2 stroke oil is going to be better.

I’m not just bs’ing you, I want you to get these fixed and running if possible.

If it has the correct API-TC full synthetic that should be gold or red in color there’s no reason to drain it as it doesn’t go bad, just install a new inline white filter and replace the small 3/32” lines from the pump to the intake manifolds.
agreed with everything but the lines.. i've never seen those go bad on the later model 2 stroke seadoos. If rebuilding the engine, then yes, but replacing them to just replace them (especially on a DI where the oil lines go behind the engine, not on the intakes.. you know this) I wouldn't bother.

So what’s the real consensus on counterbalance oil check? The manual calls for it and I’ve read for an hour and still don’t know what to do.
to check CB oil on those, you have to remove the exhaust to get to it, then remove the tube, then remove the plug/vent,.. it's a lot of work.
To be completely honest, I've only ever had one CB cavity that was dry, and that was because the cases were destroyed. Every other 951 that i've ever taken apart has had plenty of oil in the CB.. i'm not convinced it would be worth the work to check the oil

to check CB oil on those, you have to remove the exhaust to get to it, then remove the tube, then remove the plug/vent,.. it's a lot of work.
To be completely honest, I've only ever had one CB cavity that was dry, and that was because the cases were destroyed. Every other 951 that i've ever taken apart has had plenty of oil in the CB.. i'm not convinced it would be worth the work to check the oil

Okay great to hear. Thanks

Hey everyone. First post!

Just wanted to start a post and share my story. Last year I bought an older Polaris ski (00 Virage) for cheap $800. It was thought to be locked up engine but in fact only pump bearing seized so after $100 worth of parts and tune up I have a great ski.

This got me interested in skis and I was looking for a winter project….. and now I have 2…..

I just purchased 2 RX DI skis for $800 that were running but then got parked 5 years ago. No trailer so I loaded them up and headed home. I’ve been reading the site and plan to PB blaster the cylinders, drain fluids, and flush the coolant. I’ll keep this thread updated on how it goes.
I have one also and have got it running after 10 years, went to school on this one

Had to change a fuel pump, dealer 1195.00 went with a69.00 one and it takes extra voltage and it needs a 19mah to keep up , rectifier gave up probably from me over charging the battery, buy a good battery number 1 , I always use di oil, found a filter at Napa ( fuel) found high resistance on a plug that goes into fuel tank for fuel pump, gets better every time I take er out but it having a issue right now from 4800 to 6800 at times like running out of fuel, but found a couple really bad ground wires in the coil wires and thinking this couldn’t be helping nothing, some people have had an issue with the floating o ring and I might go back there if it doesn’t fix it, and do make a fuel pressure tester, this could have made this a lot better experience
I think I am the only nut case in my area that messes with DI engines. Good Luck !!
been sending me to school trying to get going after 10 years almost there, bought her new and like a kid when I get on that thing! I’m having a problem from 4800 to 6800 at times and I have replaced the fuel pump, it will idle all day not stall and at times runs flawless, I just found the main ground wires bolted together and were all messed up at coil box and we’re grounds for coils. Hoping this might be the gremlin, rainy so waiting, what y’all running for plug gap

Todays update
Got the gantry built and got both skis on the ground. One from trailer and one from truck bed. I bought a rope hoist from Amazon and the 7:1 ratio really wasn’t enough. I had to hoist a little harder than I planned and tying off to hold the load was not an option. I had my wife drive out from under so I could lower the ski to the ground. Regardless they were safely lowered with out injury or damage.

One ski I’ll call #1 had a new 19AH battery when it got parked 5 years ago. I put the charger to it and it seems to be half decent. I was able to pull the spark plugs and this one turned right over with no issues. So that’s good it’s not locked up. I also heard the fuel pump come on and run for a minute. My compression tester didn’t arrive so I won’t know that until later in the week.

Tomorrow I’ll possibly try ski #2 and see what happens turning it over. It’s in worse shape the steering is horribly tight and I found a bird nest on top of jet drive. Both skis need to be washed and waxed badly.

One problem I did see with #1 is what appears to be a pin hole in the exhaust. Had some corrosion on it and when I wiped it I could see a small hole. It’s in the pictures.

aedf29255731ed5d74e311341b382104.jpg
24bb9da1321fe408dd82320a668b3bc8.jpg
92f58b237c767626b8e3e0dd7d2c1665.jpg
4f05bdbce1a799c044b688af1c16de2e.jpg
06c0157d0dc564161a433806967bd20d.jpg
d2e726bc3fa181cb0412a9ade023e07e.jpg

This should be interesting. Always an adventure. I"m sure we've all seen some strange things and those are the most valuable when it comes to troubleshooting. Good Luck !!

Got #1 cleaned up and on a stand I built. Went to siphon gas out but my little pump needs a longer hose

There’s a before and after shot.
b47564928052694e6f2aa88d23404349.jpg1db1dc0f866b8411bcbac2f4e5a55954.jpg

Got the old gas out last night and did a compression test. 70 on the mag side 100 on PTO side.

I hear conflicting things on compression test for a DI though so I’m not sure. With those results I think I’m going to just go ahead and pull it out and get it apart to see how it looks.

First though I probably will try and run it just to make sure it doesn’t already have a dead ecu or mpem.

Got the old gas out last night and did a compression test. 70 on the mag side 100 on PTO side.

I hear conflicting things on compression test for a DI though so I’m not sure. With those results I think I’m going to just go ahead and pull it out and get it apart to see how it looks.

First though I probably will try and run it just to make sure it doesn’t already have a dead ecu or mpem.
just pull it apart with those numbers, no need to dink around

Got some fresh gas in number 1 and decided to see if it would fire up. It does run. It started up pretty easy. Did see that a Welch plug is spraying. f9999a7b150f75fa35f054db799538e9.jpg

Got a battery in #2 this morning. It turns over and has 125psi on both cylinders. Have to get the old gas out of it and I’ll try to fire it up soon.

Okay great to hear. Thanks
I check mine every year and I have had to add oil a few times. If the cavity gets low and the balance shaft bearing fails, it usually takes out the cases and the cylinder. Very bad unless you are into recycling! Be safe. Check it! just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back