Jensen Marine Stereo - replacement?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gb387

Has anyone replaced their factory Jensen marine stereo? The 'remote box/power supply' has a short in speaker channels, I am going to remove the box and see if I can fix it over the winter but are there alternatives to these stereos? The unusual face plat size makes it more challenging. Anyone changed theirs out?

I have a 2012 150 and the OEM remote is to the left of the steering wheel. Stock radio is a Jensen JMS2012A stereo with a JWR200-A remote. Has the old 30 pin iPhone connector and no Bluetooth. Drop in replacement is a Jensen MS2A radio and MWR100 remote. Has Bluetooth and USB for phone.

I should note that I'm kinda weird in that I like keeping things close to stock....

-mick

I have a 2012 150 and the OEM remote is to the left of the steering wheel. Stock radio is a Jensen JMS2012A stereo with a JWR200-A remote. Has the old 30 pin iPhone connector and no Bluetooth. Drop in replacement is a Jensen MS2A radio and MWR100 remote. Has Bluetooth and USB for phone.

I should note that I'm kinda weird in that I like keeping things close to stock....

-mick

I believe the radios in the 150s are standard sized "rectangular" audio head units. I believe the original poster has the square faced unit like mine in our 210. He did not post what model boat they have, but based on his description, I'm assuming it's the square face.

The MS2A head unit that you recommended will not work as the rectangular size won't fit the opening for the original head unit.

gb387 I'd try a Jensen model MS40BTR or JHD40BRT. I believe this size will work better for the space given.

I called ASA Electronics, the people who make Jensen Marine and a couple others and the MS40BTR or JHD40BRT are too large for the opening. There is a 'Marine Audio MA400' that is a direct replacement but its very hard to find. They make them but limited distribution. Anyone seen a 'Marine Audio MA400' ? Looks nice and the APP feature seems quite impressive.

I bought a JENSEN JMS2214BT for my dash and a JENJWR200 Remote for the back of my boat. I think it came with a cable for the remote, but I needed to buy a JENSEN REMOTE CONTROL Y CABLE FOR JWR200 REMOTE to hook up both the dash and rear remote at the same time.

I just searched and some sites say this model has been discontinued, and others say that they have it in stock. I paid about $330.00 USD back in February 2015 for all three items.

The new units look just like the old ones and fit perfectly. For some reason Jensen changed the connecting cable so I had to fish the new one from the dash to the back. I could not get the old cable out so I left it in place.

I searched eBay for some time and found a newer model of what's in my boat now, new old stock Jensen JMS2212 with a new wired remote and the needed splitter. I have not installed it yet. I get the boat out of storage this week so I'm going to install it soon. This isn't quite what I wanted but for the price I paid I'm not going to complain.

I have tested it in the house, works great! I may add a small 4 channel amp to power some new better speakers. Waiting to see how it works/sounds in the boat first. I don't want a competition system just something that sounds good and is reliable. The new radio supposedly will alert you to a low battery before it's too late... We will see how that works!

I searched eBay for some time and found a newer model of what's in my boat now, new old stock Jensen JMS2212 with a new wired remote and the needed splitter. I have not installed it yet. I get the boat out of storage this week so I'm going to install it soon. This isn't quite what I wanted but for the price I paid I'm not going to complain.

I have tested it in the house, works great! I may add a small 4 channel amp to power some new better speakers. Waiting to see how it works/sounds in the boat first. I don't want a competition system just something that sounds good and is reliable. The new radio supposedly will alert you to a low battery before it's too late... We will see how that works!

Curious if you got a chance to hook this up? My radio is acting up and I have to tap on the amp box to get the speakers to work, which last until i hit a good wave.. I am looking for a direct replacement (even if newer model).

Thanks

Hooked up the new Jensen and it sounds great. There is a second wire harness plug that let's you remove all needed wire harness parts from the boat. With that ​removed it's super easy to crimp and heat shrink the terminations. I replaced everything but the speakers. The remotes and remote wire is not compatible with the old system As of right now I'm not going to get an amplifier but we will see as time goes on. This has pre outs for one unlike the original Jensen it was much more basic.

I had the exact same problem with my old stereo. Tap the amp box and it works untill the next sudden bump. I opened my old amp box and it looks like it had moisture in it. So I'm also keeping a tub of damp rid under the dash, might not do much but it's cheap so why not.

I also had the same problem with the amp box. Had to hit it to get it to work. So far my new radio/box is working fine. Hopefully they fixed the common flaw.

I have been able to locate both the JMS2214BT and the MA400...just trying to decide which one is the best bang for the buck.

It sucks that the remote has to be replaced too. I assume that was not all that hard of a job?

Replacing the remote was pretty easy. It just popped out and the new on slid into place. Running the new cable was less fun. I used a fish tape to pull the cable through from the dash to the back. I did remove the cockpit speaker on the right side so I could help guide the fish tape.

My old cable would not pull out, so I just left it in place.

Same experience here, really​ very easy to do. Don't risk pulling the old remote wire it's attached to all kinds of stuff.

Do some research, keep in mind the wired remote. I think the Jensen 2214bt uses a different shape wired remote and may require some cutting of fiberglass. The wired remotes are not compatible with other versions of the same style stereo.

Can anyone who has replaced the stock Jensen 2107 with squarish dash controller post a current link as to where to find something that will fit that dash spot or retrofit it? I have been searching all night & cannot find anything! Thanks Alll.

thanks JPass.....seems like a good price there too. I looks like that version is a 2011ish model. Its hard to believe that there are not any newer stereos in that footprint. I can see why manufacturers have gone with a standard rectangle fit as there are so many aftermarket options with that style in comparison. I dont see any way to retrofit that space either other than getting one of the on the dash mount boxes that house the head unit, & then there probably isn’t a wiring adapter to connect it to the stock harness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back