Jeep rant

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

LesPaul

I guess this is just more of a rant than anything. I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee, until now never really towed anything with it because I have a truck. Since getting a boat and going to the beach and lake, ect. wife doesn't want to drive my truck. My Jeep came with a tow package which includes a factory trailer light connection that it tucked up under the rear bumper. After buying the needed adapter and trouble shooting why my trailer lights are not working I found that I have to take it to the dealer to get the computer "reprogramed" to activate the plug. No problem, takes 5 min at the dealer. However they want $130.00 to do it. Rant over

If it came with the tow group... it should have been "on" already. If it's the dealer you bought it from... the comment would be... "Really?? So, you don't want me to buy any other vehicles here?"

Sounds like they are charging a full hour labor for a 10 min job. I would call around to other dealers. I'm guessing you will find one that will give you a freebe. (or at least do it for less)

I agree with Dr Honda if the tow package was factory they should not charge. If you have a good relationship with your dealership should cost nothing. I just installed a factory hitch on my 14 grand Cherokee and they programmed for free.

I can't get it trough to them that it NOT broken, just needs to re-programed. They kept asking me about my warranty. IT"S NOT BROKE.

Well, that is how Chryco works these days. It all goes back to their Starscan system. Our van, I added factory fog lights, bought the kit, installed them. Went to the dealer to have them enabled, I already knew this in advance. Any option you add them have to enable it under your VIN. Lots of "vehicles" are going this route these days.

Now, that being said here's the $64K question.....are you the original owner from 2016 or did you buy it used? If you bought it used I bet you're on the hook for it, if you're the original owner it should be free since it came from the factory with the tow package.

So much for customer service these days. Should be a no brainer if it's the dealer you bought it from since it was never enabled.

I think they are just used to the masses that don't tow anymore. My good friend just bought a couple skis from me and a trailer, so we go to hook up the trailer lights on his new Toyota 4Runner with the factory tow package. Guess what? Some idiot Toyota engineer decided to mount the factory trailer plug on the driver side up under the vehicle along the spare tire, so basically 2' away from the hitch where every other vehicle mounts the plug. Needless to say he drove home that night without trailer lights because my standard trailer plug was 24" too short.

I bought it new, just never towed anything with it because I have a truck. I think I will just go there instead of calling, and hope I don't get the same idiot as I did on the phone.

I work in a body shop so I see this all The time with parts taken off of unplugged or replaced. The computer doesn't know it's hooked up and needs to be told or it turned on. I don't think it has to go to dealer but it does have to be done with a scanner. Believe me it's not just jeep pretty much every make out there has it in one form or another. In some of we take a door or rear gate off we have to reprogram the computer. Now when you get into some of the German cars that say we replace a $4000 headlight assembly they do have to go to a dealer because they have to be programmed and calibrated because some will turn or follow the turn and are self leveling, just a example. But you could take it to a body shop and if they have a scan too! Should be able to do it and their labor rate is less then service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back