JB Weld Engine mounts????

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane0524

So the other day I was riding with my friend, he was on a 95 XP 717. All of a sudden it started vibrating like crazy over 5000 rpm. After looking it all over, all of the engine mounts are broken and the engine is literally sitting in the hull attached by the drive shaft. So as the only option immediately available, we JB Welded the mounts back together, in between the rubber and the metal plate. Then we tried to get it as aligned as possible. I know this is a terrible thing to even attempt but I wanted to hear what you all think of this crazy idea and weather or not it will work or what will actually happen when we test it out. It's curing now and we'll test it wedneaday. We'll probably have to end up chipping off all of the jb weld and just replacing the mounts all together.
https://youtu.be/0nDxIe3cWB4

Yeah you have to get that junk out of there. Good used mount sets are common and inexpensive. The jb will not hold there, no chance.

Yep... what the said.

Not to mention, you are probably far enough out of alignment, that you will either bend the driveshaft, and/or rip the splins from the PTO or impeller.

It will get expensive, to do it wrong. SO... get new mounts, and do it right.

Doesn't work. That was the first repair I did a few years back..wasted a ton of time, and they broke almost immediately after startup. You don't realize how much these motors (the 717) vibrate..not worth the time

Well I basically figured that would be the general response. I know my friend Is going to want to test it out so well see how It goes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I would not test this. You are really asking for a much more expensive repair when they let go. Not worth the risk in my opinion.

Yikes. I have been known to MacGuyver repairs and do some chancy stuff when I needed to, but even I would pass on this.
Too much money at stake if anything goes wrong.
Just my 2 pennies....
-az-

JBWeld does not stick to rubber.jpg

According to JBWeld, it won't stick to SeaDoo motor mounts (flexible rubber). You might as well have used Elmers.

The reason we did the jb weld was because it looked like a pretty major job to actually replace all the mounts. They looked pretty buried and it looked like a job that may have been out of our ability. Is there any "step by steps" on seadoo forum that anyone's aware of about Changing the mounts?

Absolutely, and think about this..........

Do you really think "Glue" can hold 75 hp worth of torque,, heat and vibration??
Arn't the mounts actually glued from the factory??? Isn't it only rubber that holds it together?

Arn't the mounts actually glued from the factory??? Isn't it only rubber that holds it together?

Obviously you are set on trying this out. When it rips apart, bends your drive shaft, ruins your carbon seal etc... Don't come crying back asking for help. These guys know there stuff, either follow the advice or don't. Your choice and your money

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

BuY a set of rhass engine mounts.
Much better quality vs OEM

Its not the hard.
Just use long extensions for the ones you can get too and a small wrench or 1/4" socket drive for tight spaces.

JuryRig in a tube will never work. Those engines are relentless on vibration. I have 2 of them. Just huge chain saw engines hooked up to an impeller. Chopin at the bit to put out RPM's!

No.

The rubber is molded onto the metal end plates. So... you've ripped the rubber away. Nothing that you did... it just happens eventually.

Regardless... give it a try. Just hope you don't damage anything trying.

I was changing the exhaust gasket on my ski when I noticed the motor pulling out of the mount. I had a trip planned that same afternoon so as a temporary fix I went and bought the JB weld but "Marine" type and glued the mount back together. It said 24 hr cure time for best results. From when I glued it to riding was about 7hrs. I am ordering 2 rear mounts right now but I literally just went into my shop and grabbed the motor and it still isn't budging.

JB worked for me but I had only one mount that was bad. I'd be on the fence about trying to glue all the mounts. Replacement would deff be a better option. Goodluck with it.

I'm so confused about why its even under consideration.

a set of good used mounts is $20 shipped, 100's for sale on ebay.

Unbolt bad mounts, bolt in new mounts, re-align, and done.

it seems like your trying to get a $20 project completed for $7, which makes no sense to me.

I say go try it then do a search for my "Seadoo Motor Mount Repair" in this forum.
Oh, I forgot..... go buy some West Systems Epoxy resin and glass mat on your way home.

^ lol. You'll be a pro at glassing in mounts after this.... Maybe you could do a 951 conversion easily after this. Haha

96 XP800!
Keep the 2 strokes alive!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back