RESTO It arrrived!! My 1995 XP800 restoration project!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

emspjay

This is the restoration thread for the 1995 XP 800 I purchased from Matt Braley. First thank you to Matt for selling this to me and dealing with the Uship people. As you can see from the pics I have a lot of work ahead. I'm going to try and get it back as close to factory as I can. This will be a long project, I hope to have it back on the water next summer. And hope to get it washed and on my work stand tomorrow.

DSCN2060.JPGDSCN2061.JPGDSCN2062.JPGDSCN2063.JPGDSCN2064.JPGDSCN2065.JPGDSCN2066.JPGDSCN2067.JPGDSCN2068.JPGDSCN2070.JPGDSCN2071.JPG

Your welcome, subscribed. That one has a cool aftermarket ride plate extender under the pump. Not sure how well it works but I've never another one like that before. I'm very happy to see this ski saved. Local buyers only see "jet ski".

Thanks again Matt!! I never saw the ride plate in your pictures but it was the first thing I saw when the Uship opened the truck. I was like that is not stock haha! I will keep it and try the ski with and without it.

On a side note I got it power-washed today and got some pics but I only got lights on the front side of my garage so they suck (wanted it to dry before I took pics). What I noticed.
1. My power washer sucks and I need more garage lights.
2. It will need a lot of my favorite thing WET SANDING lol!
3. Looks like the hood was painted at some point, I WILL figure out a way to restore it (anybody that has ideas to help please post)
DSCN2092.JPGDSCN2093.JPGDSCN2094.JPGDSCN2095.JPGDSCN2097.JPGDSCN2098.JPGDSCN2099.JPGDSCN2100.JPGDSCN2101.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used this Permatex stuff that jetskigoodies used and it works great. Some stuff may melt the plastic.

https://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?82407-Removing-spray-paint-from-your-plastic-parts

137.jpg

Only update is so far is I got it on the work stand, garage somewhat cleaned up, new shelf to put parts on, pic of the must haves when starting a major project (zip lock bags, sharpie, tape, must be organized!). The weather has been really nice here so spent the last few days on the water with my other Seadoo's and my boat.
DSCN2102.JPGDSCN2103.JPGDSCN2104.JPGDSCN2105.JPGDSCN2106.JPG

Looks like your ready to dive in. I can't wait to see that creepy Joker sticker meet it's maker.

AutoZone and Advance parts stores may still carry the Aircraft Paint Popper in a spray can. It will make the paint pop off down to the base primer layer. Try a small area first. If it is rattle can paint, lacquer thinner will take it right off. Not a soaking rag, just moist and do it fast. Once again try a small area.

So called the season for my GTI, GTX, and GSX and winterized those (still need to do the boat and that is a PITA). So got some disassembly done on the XP800, just a few more things to pull out then major cleaning. One thing I noticed is this looks like it has a factory primer system instead of the normal choke my 96 800's have, (first pics are of this primer system) is that what they used in 95 on the 800's?? Also what size socket do I need for the big plastic nut on the back for the VTS housing? I don't have one big enough.
DSCN2129.JPGDSCN2130.JPGDSCN2131.JPGDSCN2137.JPGDSCN2138.JPGDSCN2139.JPGDSCN2140.JPGDSCN2141.JPGDSCN2142.JPG

You can just use a big crescent wrench on the VTS or make a socket out of abs plastic pipe. Heat with a torch and force it over the nut and let it cool.

Making a socket is a must if you ever want to remove one when the pump is still on the ski.

Primer is aftermarket, not stock.

Somewhere, I show a vts nut tool I made out of abs plastic pipe. Only way to fly.

That must have been a really good aftermarket company that made the primer because the handle looks just like a factory choke handle. I got the pump removed but the pump extension is still on it right now. Will search for the ABS solution, Thank you guys for the advise!

Someone probably wanted it to look stock and put the t handle on it. The normal primer is round and says PRIMER on it. The abs plastic is black and it's 1-1/4". PVC will probably work you'd just need to heat it longer.

Cool! Thank you Racerxxx! I will get some abs tomorrow and get that out. I'm also glad I can put a regular choke back on this, I have never had any problems with choke on my other skis.

Well, on the choke........someone remove the shafts and butterflies on those carbs to install the primer. You're gonna need a new set of carbs if the drilled out the shaft hole to fit the primer fitting. Some guys like the primer, I have never had an issue with the choke on my skis and boat.

attachment.php

Always pull the PTO with the engine in the boat. Here is a pic of the tools you need to pop it off easy.

thumbnail_IMG_0400.jpg

So I got basically everything out and got it cleaned up. The inside came out good for how dirty it was. Now on the outside you can see how bad it really is faded. It's going to be a ton of wet sanding and polishing.

DSCN2163.JPGDSCN2164.JPGDSCN2165.JPGDSCN2169.JPGDSCN2171.JPGDSCN2173.JPGDSCN2174.JPG

Made some progress! Got all the decals off except for the lower ones. They look perfect now but I will decide if I keep them when my new ones show up and compare them. Pictures make it look shiny but it's just the Goo Gone, still need to wet-sand and polish.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

Also got it flipped. The bottom is not bad at all most of this will wet sand and polish out.

6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back