Issue with water getting into Fuel

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chunkeymonkey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Hello,

Please be patient with me on this one :)

A few weeks back my bilge pump failed, and I took in a lot of water (to the bottom of the battery). I pumped it out and then took out for a run. After about 40 mins in the engine lost power, and shut off. Got towed back to the shop, who said I had about 10 gallons of water in the fuel tank, which they said they pumped out. The shop gave me it back but they told me about a beeping and said it was must be a low fuel alarm. They also put in a new bilge pump.

I got it back to my driveway and narrowed it down to the water separating filter having water in it (beeping went of after i disconnected the sensor wire at the bottom of filter), which I replaced. Before taking the boat out the next time, run on the hose for about 5 mins, and took it out for a run. Everything was fine for about 15 mins, and started getting the continuous beeping and warning light on my fuel gauge again.

I checked the filter and there was water in there again. I replaced the filter, and also siphoned about a gallon from the main tank, and it came out clear. I checked the vent on the side of the boat, and it looks ok (not broken or beat up), and could not see any visible cracks in the hoses.

My questions are, 1.) can water be getting into the fuel from running on the hose? 2.) is it possible that this could be a case of there being residual water in the system from the shop clean out, and just need to flush it through, 3.) is there anywhere else water could be getting in the fuel?

Thank you for bearing with me!

Welcome....

1) Not a chance, unless you put your garden hose in the fill spout.

2) Absolutely. If there was a lot of water in the tank, draining some is the wrong way of doing it. It should have been drained 100%.

3) Unless the tank is cracked... the only way water can get in is the Vent, the Fill spout, or the fitting around the fuel level sender. SO verify that the O-ring is on your fill cap... and make sure the fuel pickup boot is ok.

If this was my boat... I would probably pull some fuel from the tank, using a ridged hose so you can get all the way to the bottom. Chances are... the shop just pull fuel from the pick up, and it's not all the way down. Check that fuel for any signs of water. If it's clear... I would put a double shot of Marine Stay-bil in it, and then top it off. (The stay-bil will help any suspended water pass) If you find actual water... then drain the tank again.

Welcome....

1) Not a chance, unless you put your garden hose in the fill spout.

2) Absolutely. If there was a lot of water in the tank, draining some is the wrong way of doing it. It should have been drained 100%.

3) Unless the tank is cracked... the only way water can get in is the Vent, the Fill spout, or the fitting around the fuel level sender. SO verify that the O-ring is on your fill cap... and make sure the fuel pickup boot is ok.

If this was my boat... I would probably pull some fuel from the tank, using a ridged hose so you can get all the way to the bottom. Chances are... the shop just pull fuel from the pick up, and it's not all the way down. Check that fuel for any signs of water. If it's clear... I would put a double shot of Marine Stay-bil in it, and then top it off. (The stay-bil will help any suspended water pass) If you find actual water... then drain the tank again.

Thanks for the help Dr. Honda!

When you say ridged hose, what are they? Do you know where I could buy one from or a brand I could search?

I am using a manual Gas siphone with some clear quarter inch tube, but as it is so flexible, i had a suspicion that it may not be getting to the bottom of the tank...

Just a hose that won't bend, and go the wrong direction. (a stiff hose) that way you know its touching the bottom. I don't have a brand or source in mind. you can just go to a hardware store, and buy some copper tube, and clamp it to your pump.

Oh... I forgot... once you have it clear... replace all the fuel filters. If it's the 240... there's the big spin on, one right before the lift pump... and there could be one in the hose going from the tank to the engine.

Thanks again Dr. Honda, a great help.

I have the new water separating filter and the inline filter on order (mine is the 240 EFI), so will swap them out as you point out.

I’ll post back results, really appreciated again!

As Dr says if you find water drain the tank and clean the system, you could refill to the maximum, including the filler hose and check for leaks

Ok, drained the fuel tank, changed the filters (inline and water separating) and added about 2.5 gallons of gas with double dose of marine stabil (the boat is on a dock, and not near a gas pump, and once I had it going I would fill). Tried to start it and it does not fire, just splutters for about 2 seconds before dying...

Do I need to add more gas, or prime it? Is there anything else it could be?

Thank you

a couple gal in that big tank may not be getting to the pickup. Put at least 5~6 gal in.
Ok, eventually got more fuel in the tank (Fresh fill), took it out, and stalled again after 20 mins of running. Towed back to dock and more water in the VST/tank. Got the shop involved to see what else could be the issue, and they changed the O ring in the gas cap, and replaced fuel vent, but water is still getting into VST/tank after their tests.

They are now saying that it can only be an issue with a crack/hole in the main fuel tank, and are saying big-bucks to replace as involves a lot of work...

I am seriously thinking of selling the boat as is to someone who has the time and willingness to take this on, but before I put it up for sale, would like to get other's thoughts on the time/money/skills needed to change it?

Thank you in advance

there's only a couple places water will get in... and normally... it's the cap/fill neck. I'm guessing you just didn't get it drained last time. OR... rain is getting into the tank via the fill neck. DO NOT let a shop change a tank just because you are finding water.

Heck...if nothing else... get a bigger water separator, and put it in-line before the engine. You can get one with a large see-through bowl, and a drain on the bottom. That way, you can see the water, and just drain it off before it gets to the engine. That would be significantly cheaper.

https://www.amazon.com/iFJF-Separat...37871323&sr=8-3&keywords=fuel+water+seperator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back