Islandia seat - gas strut conversion ?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbob911

Just wondering if anyone has ever attempted a conversion on the Islandia seats using some compound hinges and gas struts so that they raise up instead of coming off? Sure would be a lot handier.

No gas strut but I did see a boat that had something potentially useful. They are called Larson Boat Seat Hinge Brackets, that will let you flip the seat up vertical. I'm going to try them on the rear storage seat and see how it goes.

I think..........

Because they are curved, and fit under the back cushon... I think the hinge needed would be complex and take a good hunk of the storage bucket under the seat.

I agree... it would be nice if they would just lift. When the water is choppy. and you have +8 people on board... it's hard to deal with a seat like the Islandia has.

Regardless... keep us posted if you figure something out.

Yes you're right - the back cushion has frustrated my initial thinking a little bit. Note that I'm only considering hinging the rear smaller seat - the front curved seats would be way too difficult to do I think.

I did order some of those compound hinges and I've still got a couple of ideas in mind, will let you know how it goes!

Last edited:
Yes you're right - the back cushion has frustrated my initial thinking a little bit. Note that I'm only considering hinging the rear smaller seat - the front curved seats would be way too difficult to do I think.

I did order some of those compound hinges and I've still got a couple of ideas in mind, will let you know how it goes!

Compound hinges.... the ones that raise up slightly and then come forward & then up? Kind of like the coffee tables that open up and move towards the couch so you can use it as a table?

Yes that's pretty similar to the hinges I have now, but pulling the seat up and forward is not ideal IMO. Ideally I want a compound hinge that moves up and pivots backwards, so the effect is like a simple hinge except the seat is also shifted forward a couple of inches as it lifts. Note that this is basically like a cabinet overlay hinge, except cabinet hinges only shift forward .5" to .75". Would need a lot more travel for this application.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back