Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

thepetp

Hi All,

Hope you can help. I am considering a used Islandia (240HP) to use in a water sports business to take folks on snorkel trips. I like the boat because of the great design and large seating capacity (12). My concern is that I am in the Caribbean on the small island of St Kitts. We do not have any dealers and of course no parts. Also the boat will be in salt water 24/7 until taken out for 2 months during our slow season. The boat may get 2-3 hours a day of use. I am very good with mechanics, but have no jet drive experience.

Can anyone tell me how reliable these boats tend to be? How many hours can I epxect out of a well maintained engine? Are parts readily available? Will the salt water be an issue since I will not be flushing the engine? I just do not want to get a boat that will be down more than up, or becomes a money pit. Regular maint. and an occasional problem I can live with.

Hi All,

Hope you can help. I am considering a used Islandia (240HP) to use in a water sports business to take folks on snorkel trips. I like the boat because of the great design and large seating capacity (12). My concern is that I am in the Caribbean on the small island of St Kitts. We do not have any dealers and of course no parts. Also the boat will be in salt water 24/7 until taken out for 2 months during our slow season. The boat may get 2-3 hours a day of use. I am very good with mechanics, but have no jet drive experience.

Can anyone tell me how reliable these boats tend to be? How many hours can I epxect out of a well maintained engine? Are parts readily available? Will the salt water be an issue since I will not be flushing the engine? I just do not want to get a boat that will be down more than up, or becomes a money pit. Regular maint. and an occasional problem I can live with.
I'm not thinking this is the right boat for you, seadoo's shouldn't be left in the water especially salt water for a period of time like you are talking about.

Totally agree with Cypher!!

What your looking for is an outboard powered deckboat.

Your jet pump on the Islandia will become so barnacle infested within a couple of months that the boat will never get up on plane.

Seadoos make great trailer boats for river and lake running. Some who regularly use theirs in salt water have lifts to remove them from the water when not in use. Sorry but it is what it is.

Craig

agree to disagree

No offense guys, but I disagree with other two post. With that much use daily, I dont think the barnacles/muscles..etc, will have a chance to cling in/on the jetpump area....:cheers:

I'd be more worried about the Mercury motor itself, but then again, I dont know those motors.

I would definitely want to have it on a lift and have the provision to flush the salt water. Otherwise, you are asking for trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back