Islandia 2003 Low RPM's 1,600 Max, sputtering

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Storage

Islandia ran fine in 2017.
Last year in June the engine was started on trailer, to be sure the battery was good, and that
everything checked OK before taking to thee Lake. Opon launching and clearing the No Wake Zone, I
gradually reved up to 1500 rpm, and then attempted to rev up rpm's to plane. The motor sputtered
untill I lowered below 1,600 Rpm's. As I attempted to get it to rev up rpms, my crewmember opened the
Motor hatch, and exclaimed there was water gushing from the "Flush attachment". My wife had disconnected the water hose at our driveway, but did NOT attach the CAP! After a month of a light being in the engine compartment with a small fan circulating the air, to dry the engine, and wiring.
Launched again at Lake, said a prayer, and gave it 3/4 throttle.......same issue...sputtering after 1,500 rpms, and engine dies, unless I am below 1500.
I am assuming that the water caused the problem, BUT perhaps there was this problem before
the water, as when I cranked in the driveway I did not rev up the motor.
The Motor cranks up instantely, and idles fine. Motor increases when steering wheel is turned
right or left, as it should. No Beeps or warning of any kind.
I took to a Mercury repair shop, he worked on for 7+ hours. He said everything
checked normal, but would keep over the Winter, when he had more time to re-check everything.
I went by 2 weeks ago, (8 months latter) and he said everything checked .OK, but he could not
locate the problem, or repair!
I have tryed to locate the "Throttle guardian" behind the console, as I read that it could cause such issues.
It is not next to the fuses, or anywhere behind the console. I cannot find any wire ends that have been
cut, or terminated. It appears it has never been installed behind the console. Is there ANYWHERE
else, that the "Throttle Guardin" could be located??
.....Any HELP or advice would be appreciated, other than trashing the boat, and selling the great trailer!

Last edited:
Not all boats got the TG.
I had similar problem, had to replace the trigger. Now smooth from 1200 to 6200 rpm.

If you are still on the OEM unit, might be due.

How would i know if i have a throttle guardian...and where is it located.... 2003 utopia 240 efi

If you have a TG, it should be in the same area as the steering gear box. Black, about 1x3x5 inch.

March 2020...... No....... Took to 2nd Marine shop 8 mos ago..........Still anyone can NOT figure out the problem. This shop installed new plugs, and cleaned injectors,,now says it will run 2,700 rpm..but NOT above 2,700 rpm

Did you double check the low oil sensor on the oil tank on the motor? Perhaps that is setting it into limp mode. Common failure

March 2020...... No....... Took to 2nd Marine shop 8 mos ago..........Still anyone can NOT figure out the problem. This shop installed new plugs, and cleaned injectors,,now says it will run 2,700 rpm..but NOT above 2,700 rpm

New plugs: good.
Injector service: good IF they were removed and serviced on a flow bench.

No mention of compression test. Wishing for 135 psi on all 6. Need 110 psi minimum on all 6. Check with all plugs out and at WOT.

Get a spark tester or 6. Check for spark on all 6 cylinders.

No mention of ignition timing being checked or set. Was the trigger ever looked at? The very old original units had very poor insulation that crumbled over the years causing intermittent problems.

Assume you don't have a throttle guardian. Look on top of the engine, aft of the flywheel. Can you find a black wire with yellow stripe? Crank the engine. Disconnect that wire at the plug-in. What happens?

Sounds like your shops have been just digging in your pocket. Most Merc dealers won't touch our boats.

New plugs: good.
Injector service: good IF they were removed and serviced on a flow bench.

No mention of compression test. Wishing for 135 psi on all 6. Need 110 psi minimum on all 6. Check with all plugs out and at WOT.

Get a spark tester or 6. Check for spark on all 6 cylinders.

No mention of ignition timing being checked or set. Was the trigger ever looked at? The very old original units had very poor insulation that crumbled over the years causing intermittent problems.

Assume you don't have a throttle guardian. Look on top of the engine, aft of the flywheel. Can you find a black wire with yellow stripe? Crank the engine. Disconnect that wire at the plug-in. What happens?

Sounds like your shops have been just digging in your pocket. Most Merc dealers won't touch our boats.

Hey Tim
Thanks, a few of these have been addressed, but at least 3 have NOT, so I will proceed to check once I find a Marine mechanic willing to service this 2003 Islandia!
BUT..... On the POSITIVE side, the 1st Marine shop, who is generally backed up 6 weeks....charged
me...-0-... Not a Dime! He stated, if I can't fix it, or give you an HONEST answer....I charge NOTHING!
The 2nd Shop, when I picked it up last week, I asked what is the Charges ......replied..just $100!
I was expecting $6-800..... So I gladley handed him $200.00 as he had way more "Time" trying to locate the problem! I have a business...... and "Once in a BLUE Moon" I run into a Job that I cannot fix, so even if
I spend 3-4 hours, as when you "do your best" to try to figure something out.....sometimes I can't!, so No Charge! May be a Southern NC habit, most of us older guys have! ....LOL!
I read somewhere that replacing the Port side "temp sensor" resolved the problem, for 1 guy. Also, is there a "Sock" type filter at the end of the fuel pick up line? As, in my thinking, if cleaning the injectors caused the
motor to "Pick up 1,200 rpms", could I rule out "electrical" and concentrate on it probably being an 80% chance it is due the "fuel supply" , as I always wondered why they have 3 filters, maybe a collapsing hose?? .......just scratching my head!
Thank you!

Last edited:
Did you double check the low oil sensor on the oil tank on the motor? Perhaps that is setting it into limp mode. Common failure
I did replace the "Motor oil tank/sensor" , and topped off, the large primary oil tank, the last 1 hour "outing" before this Low rpm issue show up. When that oil sensor failed, it went into limp mode at around 1,100 rpms. This is really reveving up to 2,700, which is much higher than regular limp mode, But I will check the oil tank on the motor again.
Thanks!

Hey Tim
Thanks, a few of these have been addressed, but at least 3 have NOT, so I will proceed to check once I find a Marine mechanic willing to service this 2003 Islandia!
BUT..... On the POSITIVE side, the 1st Marine shop, who is generally backed up 6 weeks....charged
me...-0-... Not a Dime! He stated, if I can't fix it, or give you an HONEST answer....I charge NOTHING!
The 2nd Shop, when I picked it up last week, I asked what is the Charges ......replied..just $100!
I was expecting $6-800..... So I gladley handed him $200.00 as he had way more "Time" trying to locate the problem! I have a business...... and "Once in a BLUE Moon" I run into a Job that I cannot fix, so even if
I spend 3-4 hours, as when you "do your best" to try to figure something out.....sometimes I can't!, so No Charge! May be a Southern NC habit, most of us older guys have! ....LOL!
I read somewhere that replacing the Port side "temp sensor" resolved the problem, for 1 guy. Also, is there a "Sock" type filter at the end of the fuel pick up line? As, in my thinking, if cleaning the injectors caused the
motor to "Pick up 1,200 rpms", could I rule out "electrical" and concentrate on it probably being an 80% chance it is due the "fuel supply" , as I always wondered why they have 3 filters, maybe a collapsing hose?? .......just scratching my head!
Thank you!

Have you checked the fuel injector pump pressure? Your engine is about 3 years newer than mine. Mine calls for 36 psi. Yes, there are 3 filters. But, there is also a filter in the end of each injector. There are also 3 fuel pumps. Maybe you should check the delivery rate of each pump. Checking the filters-- drain the gas out of each. If you can't blow (your breath) thru it, consider it junk and replace it. These are available on ebay. The filter inside the VST (injector pump) housing is clean-able, if you have it apart. If you have any gray fuel line, it is suspect. It has a history of delaminating and shutting off fuel. Speaking of delamination-- the large exhaust hoses have been known to delaminate and choke off the exhaust.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back