Is water in strator a bad sing?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

grivera

Premium Member
Premium Member
Just going through my first Jet drive lubrication (2004 Utopia 205 240HP) and when I took out the strator (center nut) water came out. Vacuumed strator with a bottle and the lube is watered down. The lube from the intake side seems with proper viscosity. I don't think water is supposed to be in there but I though Id ask.
Thanks for help with any further steps before adding lube and sealing it.
G

Just going through my first Jet drive lubrication (2004 Utopia 205 240HP) and when I took out the strator (center nut) water came out. Vacuumed strator with a bottle and the lube is watered down. The lube from the intake side seems with proper viscosity. I don't think water is supposed to be in there but I though Id ask.
Thanks for help with any further steps before adding lube and sealing it.
G

No, there should be no water in the oil. Use only Mercury High performance Gear Lube. Get it at WalMart. You will need 2 quarts to change stator and gearbox. Small handpump comes in handy. Also WalMart.

Normal maintainence is to REMOVE the stator completely. The oil will start to drain as you pull the stator off the shaft. Makes a mess. The only way to get all the old oil and water out of the unit. At that point, replacing the shaft seal is easy. Should still be avail from Merc.

There are instructions on this site how to change the gear oil.

Or buy an extra quart and pump it through til the air and water is gone. Almost like purging the system; keep the vent screw out or barely in..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back