Is this the engine temp sensor?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimraab

Can someone confirm this is my engine temp sensor on my 2005 GTX 4-Tec engine. It is blue in color in the picture. It may be bad as intermittently when I start the ski it will indicate overheating when it has been sitting for days.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG00118-20100510-1116.jpg
    IMG00118-20100510-1116.jpg
    125.2 KB · Views: 265
I looked at the sea doo parts diagram and the engine temp seems to be located on the bottom of the engine left bottom, but I did not see it on my engine. I am assuming you are saying that the photo I took is not the engine temp sensor.

OK, I believe this is the water temp sensor. It is located at the rear of the engine bottom right side. Correct?

Attachments

• IMG00120-20100510-1334.jpg
    IMG00120-20100510-1334.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 180
i would have to say yes, considering it looks exactly like the ones on the heads of 2-strokes.

First picture (blue sensor, has two wire connector) is the engine temp sensor. The second picture is the oil pressure switch. It has a single wire connector. Have you retrieved a code when you have this issue? I ask this because there are two temp sensors ... one engine...one exhaust. A P**** code would identify which sensor is sending out that there is a fault.

DAWG

yes, and there are no problem codes listed. some times when i try to start it after not using for days and it starts fine. other times it immediately starts with an indicator saying High temp and i can't use the ski. from what i read it sounds like one of the temp senders are bad. do you agree?

I agree that your having a temp sensor ( or its connector) problem. The question is which one. A 4TEC gauge displaying "H-TEMP" means either the engine sensor OR the exhaust sensor. The next time you start the ski and the gauge says "H-TEMP" leave the ski running at press the "SET" button 5 times. This should generate a code which will lead you to the correct sensor. Make sure your sensor connections are clean. The exhaust temp sensor is a two wire sensor located at the left muffler, towards the front, just under where the large hose connects.

DAWG

Dawg's got it.

The engine temp sensors are pretty reliable. The exhaust temp sensor's fail quite often.

Dennis, I will try that next time.

Is the same part number used for both the engine and exhaust temp sensors?

Thanks so much!

No. The engine sensor part no. is 420 222 425
The exhaust sensor part no. is 278 001 016

I agree with ski-dOO. If I had to guess which sensor was at fault I would choose the exhaust sensor. I haven't seen a faulty engine temp sensor yet.

DAWG

My jetboat indicating high temp and no clogging, flushes fine so I am thinking about changing mine out. Can someone confirm where the Exhaust Sensor is located? Picture would be great.

Anyone change it out...have steps for me to follow?

i am actually having a simailr problem with my 2007 seadoo gti .. it came up a code p0118 and it says that code is engine temp sensor shorted to 12v or open circuit..does that mean its bad???

My jetboat indicating high temp and no clogging, flushes fine so I am thinking about changing mine out. Can someone confirm where the Exhaust Sensor is located? Picture would be great.

Anyone change it out...have steps for me to follow?
It’s near the water box

This is an old thread and in the wrong section.
Please start a new thread in the correct section with your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back