Is it difficult to replace the safety / kill switch/key ??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctors Orders

My best friend has an early 2000's (2002?) Sea Doo and told me the safety / kill switch key that clips onto the button on the dash isn't working... maybe it's corroded... no contact, no beep, nothing... Can a person buy the replacement part and easily replace this?? Or does this need to be done by a shop / dealer ??
Thanks... The person asking me about this is VERY hand with DIY projects by the way....

Last edited:
If you press the start button will the gauges wake up? If not, it's not your DESS post.

If so......

Is it on the dash or the handle bar cover? If it's just the dash it simple to replace. If it's the bar cover it's a bit harder since the wires will come up thru the center of the bar stem. You really should buy a pin extractor if you go this route. Just remember to pull a wire with it so you can easily attach a "pull" wire to pull the new wires thru.

Depends on the year and model whether pressing the start button will wake up the gauges. Around 03 they did away with that feature on most models for some odd reason and all 4tecs won't wake up either. Just got an 04 xpdi that a SeaDoo dealer told the customer that it needed a new mpem and will cost over $1000 because it wouldn't wake up and BUDS couldn't read it(charged him over $100 for this information). I put a new DESS post on it and it was good to go.

Changing DESS post is simple and they do seem to fail on occasion, no programming necessary, it's just a magnetic switch(or 2 switches for 4 wire ones) just make sure to get either a 3 wire or 4 wire whatever your model uses. Buying used on fleabay or wherever is fine since they don't fail that often. I have a box full of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back