Inside of starter relay... pics!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael211_2000

If you wonder what the inside of the brown OEM starter relay looks like when it starts the "click without starting" trend, here it is! Looks like the electrical contacts have developed some charring over time and it's now unable to pass current thru them when the relay is engaged?

SeaDoo Impeller tools and starter relay 004.jpg

I may try later tonight to clean the charring off with a dremel tool and small wire rotary brush, just for grins. I believe if I can clean this black char off, I can put it back together and it'll work as a spare in the future. Note that there's no signs of oxidation or other corrosion inside, ther is a rubber gasket between the metal back plate and the brown plastic casing, so it's water-tight near as I can tell.

- Michael

Cleaned contacts..

Ok I cleaned up the contacts today... I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for quite a few more cycles now....

Starter Relay 001.jpgStarter Relay 003.jpg

What do you think? There's a miniscule amount of pitting on the switch, but I don't think it'll make any significant difference as far as voltage transmission is concerned.

- Michael

I get that click then nothing often and then it starts like normal. Does this sound like the same relay issue?

I get that click then nothing often and then it starts like normal. Does this sound like the same relay issue?

Yep. Try this.Open up the hood so you can see the relay.try to start the ski.If it just clicks,take the handle of a screw driver and tap on the side of the relay.....Now give it another try.

Yes, the relay is starting to go bad... it's not making good electrical contact inside. Simplest thing is just to get a new relay and install it. I cleaned my old one up internally and put it back together as a spare for the next time I get the dreaded "Click!".

- Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back