Injecting vs PreMix in '95 Sportster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

kringdoo

This season my '95 Sportster has started smoking at startup. The longer the duration between use the more smoke. After reading a few threads, I've come to the conclusion that it might be a worn rotary seal or similar. I'm considering draining the oil injection system and just doing a premix until the end of this season when I can bring it back and work on it prior to storage. MY QUESTION IS: Will I wreck something else by doing premix and will this fix my smoking problem?

Tremendous Thanks in Advance!!

kringdoo
:hurray:

Yep...

you need oil in the bottle to feed the rotary valve assy. Same bottle, that feeds the oil pump. You will strip the brass gear on the rotary shaft, with no oil.

:agree:

Yep… removing the injection system won’t take care of that problem since you still have to have oil on the gears.

:agree:

Yep… removing the injection system won’t take care of that problem since you still have to have oil on the gears.

Nothing to do with the injection system. You will smoke even more and waist even more oil because the pre-mix ratio is done calculating what the engine uses at WOT so when at idle you are wasting oil. Both my last skis where pre-mix and i use to buy oil all the time. Now I have twin-engine boat and i think i use half of the oil i used before.

Not an easy job, the crank needs to come out to replace he seals.. Moral of the story; if it still runs good drive it until it breaks.. Thats unless the extra smoke really bothers you and you have a few hundred extra dollars for a rebuild..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back