Info Gauge Repair

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

etemplet

Premium Member
Premium Member
I pulled a couple of gauges apart looking at repairing them. I'm guessing these are done.. They were cooked pretty good with the film melted onto glass. I got more. I would be nice to have a testing set up. Maybe later. :)

much later. LOLInfo Gauge Face (1).JPG

Gene has me blocked, someone tell him you need to scrap the old burnt film off the glass, requires a lot of patience and tedious time, but it should clean up fine. Mine was black and looked beyond repair compared to those two he's holding up. It now looks brand new..

I think he already removed the film.....

Not in that pic he hasn't, look closely you can see it on the edges and glass doesn't delaminate like that. It takes a couple hours to sit down and scrap the film off, I know I spent nearly that long on just 1 gauge. It's a pain to do...not for everyone.

Etemplate, have you tried removing the film to see if the glass underneath is ok?

This is just the beginning. LOL I'm gonna figure these things out but I hate electronics. It's my growth area. :)

I recall people saying that a bad info gauge will cause a ski to run badly. Any truth to that?

Thanks for clarifying for future people that reference this thread for help.

I've seen many many people do this film replacement on the info gauge, including myself. Nick at OSD and many others sell the polarized film to make the repair. I've never ever heard or seen anyone report where the glass would delaminate (which glass doesn't) or burn (liquid crystal and glass don't) like it shows in the pic. Underneath that melted film in the pic is an intact LCD display. The display WILL come back to life if you're willing to spend the time (1-2 hours per gauge) to clean it up and apply the new film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems that the gauge supply is currently no food for the 1996 GTX. I'm going to go through my other gauges to see If I only need to modify the plugs. I have GTX Limited and XP DI gauges I'll be looking at.

** Question** for those that have repaire gauges do you cut the band around the face of the gauge or lift the crimp on the rear of the gauge to remove the band. I've been doing the latter and it is a pain in the azz. What are you resealing the gauge with?

I recommend bringing the gauge into a dry envrionment for at least 25 hours before resealing it. Otherwise moisture is already in there and will rear it's ugly head once the temperatures change inside the gauge. I wonder if just using a heat gun would work...??

Well well well.... I actually brought one of these to life. It was the one the wires were all torn up because of rats I fixed so many wires and soldered connectors on them... Yikes. Now I'll change the film on the info gauge and hoperfully everything will work. That would be cool.

For my next trick, I'm gonna modify the wiring on gauges so they will connect to other skis. It seems presently there are a lot of 951 gauges available for better prices and I have a few of my own.

Well, I am getting more proficient at disassembling the info gauge and doing the repair. I still haven't found the perfect product to clean the glue off the glass. I did source the lens material. I don't remember what I paid for the sheet but it was about 8"X 11" which means I got enough material to do a pile of gauges... more than 8. It's sticky on one side and making the cut isn't difficult. 2-5/16" X 1-3/4" Good Luck All !!

Gauge repair film (1).JPEGGauge repair film (2).JPEG

When I recently did mine I used goo gone and a razor blade gasket scraper. I was very careful and did not scratch the glass. Came out pretty good, even though my screen was burned a bit like yours are (not as bad though).

When I recently did mine I used goo gone and a razor blade gasket scraper. I was very careful and did not scratch the glass. Came out pretty good, even though my screen was burned a bit like yours are (not as bad though).
I agree for the glue removal. I tried the Turtle Wax version of the Sticker Removal on this last one. It softened the glue up better than anything else I tried. I was worried about getting destructive liquid onto any of the circuits or connections. I previously used laquer thinner (very sparingly) and scrapped it off. The screen seems to be very durable but I'm still as gentle as I can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back